Question for the Chicken Psychiatrists out there:

Sred, I love your stories! How amazing! Thank you for posting that.
jumpy.gif

I feel that all chickens are created eaqule and it is all in how you raise them for example i have my fav. rooster he is an austerlop when i got him he was full grown and i only got him to breed when i got him the owners said he was mean and be carfull around him

needless to say he is now very gental i totaly trust him around my 6 year old neice who is not the sharpest when it comes to animles

i just go out of my way to spend time in the pens even if just sitting in a chair and talking to the chickens ( exps when bringing in new birds i try and kake them all feel welcome )
and i tell the others its ok

YES I KNOW IT SOUNDS NUTS BUT HEY CHICKENS ARE MY ZEN RIGHT NOW LOL

What an interesting discussion! I just wanted to add that some of the more intelligent animals CANNOT or WILL NOT be trained to perform tasks on command or "do tricks" for their caretakers. My Mastiff rings the door bell to come inside, can open all of the doors in our house and even brings me my phone when it rings... but as far as commands? She won't do more than sit, down, wait and come. Just my 2 cents:)

I think if you look for intelligence and awareness in any animal you'll find it. I have fish in my goldfish pond that know me from other people. Anyone can go stand on the edge of the pond, but when I approach, they swarm- I'm the feeder. I look very similar to my daughters, my sisters, and a friend, but apparently height, hair color and body shape aren't the discriminating factors. They know somehow.

My birds know me, and the roos have always used specific sounds to notify the girls of who is approaching. Big dog (Henry) gets clucks at a certain pitch in 6 quick pops. Little dog (Daisy) gets 3 quick ones and then a 4th at a lower note. Hubby is a high pitched longer note and then 2 more, descending with each.

Neighbor dogs are all allotted a high pitched series of 3, then a lower series of 3, but it's different if a dog they don't know goes past- it's a lower series of pops to get everyone's attention, like, "Wait...ready to run!!" We have a very busy street and lots of foot traffic goes through visible to their yard.

I'm not sure if the new guy in charge has similar calls and notifiers. I've only had him here a week and Professor had been the head honcho for years. It would be very interesting if the noises were the same despite the boys never having met. What would that mean?

You might think me nuts for having observed all of this, but I write a lot and love to sit out in the yard with them...if I can keep them out of my lap while writing! Often have one on my head and put my feet up so they can stand all down my legs. Thank God they all know not to poop on me. We have a deal.

My boss hen always jumps on our laps and lays down. She's a talker too. She's very nosy and has A.D.D. HAHA! She is a one year old Barred Rock. I have a couple little Leghorns that were flighty as can be, now they jump up and want to sit down on our laps too.
I love watching them and seeing all the different chickenalities. They are sooo darn funny.

Wow. After a year i can now see many things a lot more different, and yet some things remain the constant. Reading your post lets me know that it's not just me that sees all of this. i am glad for feeding the planets sake that there are people out there that don't seem to care so the rest of us can eat animals with less guilt, but to actually think they are stupid, or have no feelings or emotions, is just absurd. i could never visit a production farm. i am SO glad for your post and wish you the best with your flock of friends.

Back
Top Bottom