Question for those of you with poop boards

What do you do with the poop you scoop from them? Ive looked through a bunch of threads and havent read it anywhere yet. Do you Throw it out in the yard? keep a pail and empty that when it gets full? Walk the scoop out to the grove and toss it?

i dont use poop boards but i do use the deep litter method. i have two turkeys (a tom and a hen) that roost in the same spot every night. you can imagine what the poop pile looks like after 12 hours of them sitting there. im going to start using a kitty litter scoop on their droppings just because it is so much and this time of year i can easily walk it out to the grove, but come winter time that wont be an option and i hate to think of spring thaw if i just toss it out in the yard every morning.
We use bags of wood flakes, (fine) from Tractor supply for our coop. Then scoop it out as needed. They love making beds in it, playing in it and digging holes as well through it. So much easier.... We also have boards on ledges as well.

Id never dream of throwing away that gold! My garden will love it, and if not, I can sell it for someone else to use in their garden. I use a poop board and scoop some poop off of the floor even though I am using deep litter method.
I was just putting the poop (and some poop with shavings) into a pile to decompose, but the dog kept eating it all (my entire pile would disappear by the next day! (bleyacggh))
I ended up making a chicken wire tube from scrap chicken wire, and just let it pile up in there. I added some grass clippings to hold it in and keep the dog from sticking her tongue in there to grab bits.

Compost - we use pine shavings and a bit if straw in the coop which makes a good ratio for going into the compost. We have a raised coop with biiig doors to the outside, so barrow goes under, it gets scraped out with a hand rake, fresh pine and a bit if straw goes in and the whole lot goes to the compost pile.

We have lots of compost bins which have been gifted to us over the years and we have one that's dedicated to the chooks.

You don't have to get fancy, even having a corner to chuck it and let it naturally break down will suit. If you're using deep litter, it will do most the composting in the coop so may be ready to go directly to the garden.

Also in Minnesota I collect poop in a cat litter bucket in the summer i take it to fertilize some pine trees in high grass area in the winter I dump my filled bucket in trash can bag and throw it in the garbage let the sanitation workers deal with it easy peasy!

Back
Top Bottom