Question for those who free range and integrate chicks into flock early...

imacowgirl2

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
south central IL
For those of you who free-range your flock and also integrate new baby chicks into the flock early, how do you handle free ranging with the babies?

Our current group of 11 chicks is about 5 weeks old now, and have been integrated since 3 weeks old. Up until the past few days, while they've explored the run and right outside the coop door occasionally, they've not shown any interest in following the flock any further abroad...but the past couple days they've started venturing to the compost pile when we come out to dump scraps, so I know its only a short matter of time before they start actually following the hens further abroad.

I'd prefer they stay up closer to the coop until they're a lot bigger, because I fear they'll be picked off by predators a lot more easily while they're small...we have hawks in the area so they, along with the farm dog (though he's pretty old and blind these days), are my main concerns.

So, do you take your chances and let the littles free-range if they desire? If so, do you lose a larger percentage of the littles to predators? Or do you keep the littles locked up somehow until they're much bigger?

For those of you who free-range your flock and also integrate new baby chicks into the flock early, how do you handle free ranging with the babies?

Our current group of 11 chicks is about 5 weeks old now, and have been integrated since 3 weeks old. Up until the past few days, while they've explored the run and right outside the coop door occasionally, they've not shown any interest in following the flock any further abroad...but the past couple days they've started venturing to the compost pile when we come out to dump scraps, so I know its only a short matter of time before they start actually following the hens further abroad.

I'd prefer they stay up closer to the coop until they're a lot bigger, because I fear they'll be picked off by predators a lot more easily while they're small...we have hawks in the area so they, along with the farm dog (though he's pretty old and blind these days), are my main concerns.

So, do you take your chances and let the littles free-range if they desire? If so, do you lose a larger percentage of the littles to predators? Or do you keep the littles locked up somehow until they're much bigger?
All our chickens free range and we integrate more quite often. What i always end up doing is acclimate them to the outdoors first by putting them in a small pen for a couple weeks (we use portable electric fencing) then after they're comfortable in there i put them in with the bigger hens ALSO in an electric fence but much bigger. Then when they become comfortable with the hens and the big coop I let them all out and that seems to work pretty well. they do tend to get through the fence but they like to stay together and the majority stays by the coop.
Edit: if they can get under something wether that be a bin or the coop, they should be safer from hawks

The simple answer for me is, i don’t!

I have a large fence yard for them to roam and a chicken inclosed run, i keep everyone in for a bit, unless its a broody hen, which i just let her do her thing, she knows whats up. :idunno

I let them go sometimes..depends on the group , smarter one i let go out especially òf one of my hens likrs them and watches out others not so much out of about 20 lost one to an aerial predator and i have lots

I integrate several batches of chicks into the flock every spring and summer. We have a large fenced run with a single gate. I do let the flock out to free-range, but only rarely due to a high predator load – coyotes, foxes, hawks, owls, eagles, raccoons, opossums, bobcats, and even the occasional cougar. I have four roosters to provide some security, and dogs in the fenced backyard howl their fool heads off when they see or hear anything amiss. Even the cattle help to keep predators at some distance. I still lose a few chickens every year; it’s inevitable.

I know they’re ready to explore outside the run when they’re nearly as big as the mature birds and have learned to follow the big birds' clues and warning calls. They also need to know the sight and sound of that coffee can with afternoon treats, and come running to it. I also watch for the time they’re freely mingling with the flock at feeders and treats, and don’t just stick with their own little group of hatchlings. Then I wait for a good stretch of nice weather when I’ll mostly be outside doing things for a few days, and can check on them frequently.

Only then will I open the precious gate to freedom. The big birds stampede through the gate and race each other to their favorite hangouts. The littles generally choose to stay inside the run at first, or explore just outside the gate for awhile. There are always a few hens and a rooster who choose to stay in the run or near the gate, anyway. (Especially if he’s got an eye on some of the pullets for his own harem.) I’ve found the youngsters don’t follow the flock to the far reaches until they feel comfortable doing so.

For the first few days at dusk, it's always a search-and-rescue mission until they learn how to find the gate into the run. I don't pick them up from wherever they've gotten lost (it's never very far at all); instead, I herd them (see below) back towards safety, sometimes with help, so that THEY follow the necessary route, at ground level, and find the gate themselves. It only takes about 2-3 days of this herding, and then they'll follow the big birds in or go into the run by themselves.

Herding chickens is a learned technique - and it's not as hard as you'd think, but it does take some patience and time. Basically, you act like a rooster would. He makes a certain sound that indicates it's time to head towards the coop. He circles around them and delivers light pecks to their behinds to get them moving. Then it's a slow, slow march punctuated by several pit stops to dine on last-minute snacks along the way. When the hens wander off the route, he circles back to them, stands patiently by and waits for a bit. Then he issues the call again, pecks or circles behind them, until they start moving again. Once they're in or very near, he repeats the process - because by then, several hens have wandered off somewhere else or back to where they started. It might take him ten round-trips to get everyone home.

I’m a bit more lazy (or more persistent), and will spend more effort keeping them all together and moving in the same direction, only going back for a second trip when one breaks away from the group. NEVER try to chase them; that never works – they’ll be panicked and race right past that open gate instead of going IN. You’ll wear yourself out and they’ll just be more confused and scared. They WANT to go in, they just need help finding the gate – and they’ll find it easier if you and they are CALM and take it slow.

My bedtime call is "Go to bed!" in a singsong voice the big birds have become familiar with. I carry my "rattly stick", which is really just a fiberlgass(?) stick with the end split so that it rattles when I shake it or tap it on the ground. Distinctive sound. I never tap (peck) the hens with it, but I'll tap it on the ground or against objects to get my point across. They always move away from me, and from my stick. So.... I just get behind or around them, and they move away from me and towards the run gate or coop door. We go very slowly, and I allow them their pit stops for last minute morsels, then it's tap-tap-tap "Go to bed!" behind them, and they start moving again. Works well for training littles to go into the coop at night, too.

I integrate several batches of chicks into the flock every spring and summer. We have a large fenced run with a single gate. I do let the flock out to free-range, but only rarely due to a high predator load – coyotes, foxes, hawks, owls, eagles, raccoons, opossums, bobcats, and even the occasional cougar. I have four roosters to provide some security, and dogs in the fenced backyard howl their fool heads off when they see or hear anything amiss. Even the cattle help to keep predators at some distance. I still lose a few chickens every year; it’s inevitable.

I know they’re ready to explore outside the run when they’re nearly as big as the mature birds and have learned to follow the big birds' clues and warning calls. They also need to know the sight and sound of that coffee can with afternoon treats, and come running to it. I also watch for the time they’re freely mingling with the flock at feeders and treats, and don’t just stick with their own little group of hatchlings. Then I wait for a good stretch of nice weather when I’ll mostly be outside doing things for a few days, and can check on them frequently.

Only then will I open the precious gate to freedom. The big birds stampede through the gate and race each other to their favorite hangouts. The littles generally choose to stay inside the run at first, or explore just outside the gate for awhile. There are always a few hens and a rooster who choose to stay in the run or near the gate, anyway. (Especially if he’s got an eye on some of the pullets for his own harem.) I’ve found the youngsters don’t follow the flock to the far reaches until they feel comfortable doing so.

For the first few days at dusk, it's always a search-and-rescue mission until they learn how to find the gate into the run. I don't pick them up from wherever they've gotten lost (it's never very far at all); instead, I herd them (see below) back towards safety, sometimes with help, so that THEY follow the necessary route, at ground level, and find the gate themselves. It only takes about 2-3 days of this herding, and then they'll follow the big birds in or go into the run by themselves.

Herding chickens is a learned technique - and it's not as hard as you'd think, but it does take some patience and time. Basically, you act like a rooster would. He makes a certain sound that indicates it's time to head towards the coop. He circles around them and delivers light pecks to their behinds to get them moving. Then it's a slow, slow march punctuated by several pit stops to dine on last-minute snacks along the way. When the hens wander off the route, he circles back to them, stands patiently by and waits for a bit. Then he issues the call again, pecks or circles behind them, until they start moving again. Once they're in or very near, he repeats the process - because by then, several hens have wandered off somewhere else or back to where they started. It might take him ten round-trips to get everyone home.

I’m a bit more lazy (or more persistent), and will spend more effort keeping them all together and moving in the same direction, only going back for a second trip when one breaks away from the group. NEVER try to chase them; that never works – they’ll be panicked and race right past that open gate instead of going IN. You’ll wear yourself out and they’ll just be more confused and scared. They WANT to go in, they just need help finding the gate – and they’ll find it easier if you and they are CALM and take it slow.

My bedtime call is "Go to bed!" in a singsong voice the big birds have become familiar with. I carry my "rattly stick", which is really just a fiberlgass(?) stick with the end split so that it rattles when I shake it or tap it on the ground. Distinctive sound. I never tap (peck) the hens with it, but I'll tap it on the ground or against objects to get my point across. They always move away from me, and from my stick. So.... I just get behind or around them, and they move away from me and towards the run gate or coop door. We go very slowly, and I allow them their pit stops for last minute morsels, then it's tap-tap-tap "Go to bed!" behind them, and they start moving again. Works well for training littles to go into the coop at night, too.
Wow thank you i have been fortunate so far that a motherly hen has adopted littles put out and does the mother hen routine with them..but the two hens that do this ,one has biddies ( 8 weeks old she is a helicopter mom) and the other is setting so..the group i need to let out of the coop in the main one isnt going to have that guidance..so i now know how to herd.. ive been lucky that everyone has learned how to go to bed on their own up until now

With my broody hens I let them raise the chicks with the flock from Day 1. The broody hen takes care of it.

With my brooder raised chicks my brooder is in the coop. Even though the adults spend all day every day outside of that coop except when hens are laying eggs just seeing the chicks when the adults wake up and as they put themselves to bed seems to be enough for the chicks to grow up with the flock. When those chicks are 5 weeks old I open the brooder door and walk away. Integration is done. I very much think having a lot of room makes a big difference. I think if yours are squeezed in a minimum sized coop and a minimum sized run you are much more likely to have issues.

Usually all the chicks are out of that 3' x 6' brooder in a pretty short period of time. They might stay in my 8' x 12' coop for as long as three days before they venture outside but often they are outside within a couple of hours. Each brood is different. I let them figure it out at their own pace. They have the rest of their lives to figure it out.

At first they tend to stay pretty close to home but as they get older they get bolder. Mine don't seem to follow the adults but form their own sub-flock, avoiding the adults and foraging on their own. When they mature enough to join the pecking order they then merge, especially at night and start sleeping together. Sometimes they still hang together as their own sub-flock but will often merge to eat. Each brood is different but with my pullets that's often about the time they start to lay. With my cockerels it can be any time.

This is the way I used to do it and free range. After two dog attacks from dogs that people dropped off in the country (cost me 13 chickens) I put up enough electric netting that they have over 3,000 square feet of grass that they can forage in. I still do it the same way but they no longer free range. I have not noticed any differences in behaviors.
I have not had major issues with flying predators. I've only lost one older chicken to a hawk and one to an owl, those were both inside the electric netting. I let mine free range for three years and only lost two older ones, not sure if that was a fox or coyote. I've lost a couple of baby chicks with broody hens, I presume to snakes but I'm not sure. For over ten years and with a flock that can grow to over 50 chickens in the summer season I consider these losses pretty small. Others have real issues with flying predators or other predators and can get wiped out almost immediately. I have no idea what your risk tolerance is or what kind of predator load you have.

Chicks that are raised by a broody hen are an obvious easy integration and introduction to the outdoors since they stick pretty close to mom.
When I've introduced young chicks to the outdoors alone, I use portable poultry netting to fence off a small area around the coop. After a couple weeks of that, I left them out completely free but not until it's getting close to dark so that they head in and don't actually get too far away before instincts tell them to roost.

The short answer is, I throw them out at 6-8 weeks and they either survive or they don’t.

Recently (around December) I’ve begun brooding chicks directly on the natural ground within their first 24 hours and it seems to make them much tougher. The first chicks I’ve raised that way are now free ranging and doing well.

I am integrating 14 chicks in a 12x20 coop right now with 24 hens and 2 roosters. This is my third time integrating chicks into the flock this way. During the day when the coop door is open and the flock is out and about. I open the chicks cage so they may free range the coop. The big girls come and go but mostly ignore them. Sure occasional peck when they get to close. At night when gathering eggs, doing a head count & overall health check. I ensure they are in their own cage locked up.

My experience, even with broody hens last year. In the early am and they are all off the roost standing at the door. Mom's cannot protect all their young and lost chicks. Therefor I like to keep my chicks (mom & chick if present together) separate from the main flock.
Once the door is open and they all run out, you are pretty safe to open the other cages and let them roam the coop. Mothers will run out the door, turn around and cluck for their chicks to come. Then they take off traveling around the property.

The picture attached, is two rabbit cages from TSC that I joined together as one large one. They went in there at week 3 with two heat lamps (weather down to 32) and I wanted redundancy.

Week 4, put another little fence around it and began to open their door after letting the flock out. They get to venture and take baths as they cannot in a cage. When you are comfortable, you can adjust your fencing around the cage. So the chicks can venture out but the adults cannot get into their cage.

Attachments

• IMG_20230223_154626853_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230223_154626853_HDR.jpg
    884.3 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom