Question for those who post here

PtldChick

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Portland, OR
I notice that a lot of people post questions here and wait for responses that they could easily find by searching the internet or this forum. Why do more people not try to find the answer themselves? Or do both, and not just hope a BYC'er has the right info?

yuckyuck.gif

When I firsted started it took me some time to navigate, but got the hang of it now! I love the roo or hen questions! Im just not too good at adding links....working on that to get newbies some help.

i think a lot of people are weary of info on other sites, theres so much conflicting info out there...yet a chicken forum like BYC has people with lots of experience...and well....i certainly trust there opinion over other sites.
in regards to searching the forum..it took me MONTHS to figure out how to use the search function on here...dont whether its just me but i found it so difficult to use in the beginning!

also...when you find your chicken sick/ill/injured for the first time..you panic, you dont really think about going out there and searching for the answer yourself...its quicker and easier to ask for help here
smile.png
theres so many experienced helpful people on this forum..youd be crazy not to ask them for advice
smile.png

I think that no matter what most newbies will ask ask ask instead of using the search engine on here. I did it that's for sure. I thought it would be much quicker and easier to get answers but most of the time it wasn't and I wound up searching on my own-which is what I should have done to begin with
hide.gif
I don't think this will ever change on here really
hu.gif
I don't mind helping folks most of the time-it makes me search things out for them and I learn something new all the time from helping others...
ya.gif

Because people are LAZY and dont want to look for answers themselves. They'd rather have the answers come to them then have to read through a bunch of info for the small piece they needed!

(this isn't ALL people.. just a lot!!
wink.png
)

I usually use google, the BYC search box, the 'advanced' search box then when I can't find the info I'm looking for then I'll ask!
smile.png

Quote:
Agreed. I would rather hear someone with experience in the matter vs. trying to find it. Some breeds do certain things, places are different, meds are different, holistic treatments are different and the support you get from the community helps when you are dealing with a stressful situation... google definitely cant do that.

I can find the answer on my own, but I would rather post quickly and get an up to date response. If its a pain to other people then dont read this forum, it was created for a reason.

Last edited:
I think that a lot of people actually miss that there is a search function on here. Like others on here, I will usually preform a search and then if I can't find it, I'll post for an answer. The only time I don't use the search function is if I am going to vent or if it is a behavior thing with my chickens, like my really noisy Polish chick. It took me a while of observing her to find out that she is just very ditsy and could get lost in her own mind.

I spend most of my time in the emergency section responding to questions. I enjoy doing it, helping out as best as I can. It can be a challenge sometimes especially when there are repetative questions right after another person has posted the same question 5 minutes prior. I respond to it anyway because I understand the panic, frustration etc...what the individual is going through at that moment...it's their chicken, their pet, their concern, their emergency, and want a response right away. Most instances here, people could easily use the BYC search box and easily look for answers. There are many reasons that have all been addressed in this thread, very good points and reasons why...I believe it wont change neither as mentioned by Sonew...I dont want it to end, the answers provided...right or wrong...are learning tools for everyone. Besides, I'd be out of a job!

Back
Top Bottom