Question...How long do your hens sit in the nest box?

Mine are usually in there for a few hours. I find they lay their egg in 60-90 minutes and then continue to sit for 15-30 minutes after they've laid their egg. I figure they are just resting.

If I've opened the gate to let them out to free range and one is in the next laying. They will typically come out immediately after laying. They don't like to miss out on free range time.

Oh no, some of ours can stay in all morning! Except that they're always fighting to get into the "special" nest box (which is identical to the other two) so they often kick each other out, or try to. In fact, sometimes one or another of them will hop back on in the evening, when I know all the eggs have been laid, just to sit on them for a bit. They're not broody, I think they just have nothing better to do!
smile.png
Yes...that and the myth that they lay early in the morning are the two we've debunked so far...

LOL, how long do my hens sit in the nest box? Never even thought to time them, nor do I care. What difference could it possibly make as to how long does a hen sit. Broodys will sit for days with barely a get off for food/drink.

36435_gossiphens.jpg

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Sounds like my girls. One of my Wyandottes will sit in a nest box, come out to the yard, toss leaves behind, go back to the nest box, then lay her egg. I'm thinking maybe if I put some leaves in the nest box she'll lay faster?

Back
Top Bottom