1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Question Need help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by countrygirl911, Jun 22, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi I live in mississippi and a possible tropical storm or eaven a week hurrucane might be on its way here even though i live more inland we still get ver gusty winds and heavy rain. My question is how can i make my coop more stable to protect my chicken if this storm was to develop and come our way. We uses a 10 by 8 storage shed and converted it to a coop inside the coop we have it braced and attached to 2 x 4 boards 7 of then in the ground at least a foot to almost two feet and 3 more used for cross braces will this help to kepp the coop in tact and my beautidul chickens safe and is their anything else i can do to make sure that it is safe and intact and sturdier. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Are you in coastal Ms?

I am in Se la.

Anchor it to the ground. 2X4s -- 1 or 2 feet in the ground . Yes they will help it stay intact. And if the coop is low to the ground, it would do okay.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've never spent much time in Hurricane country (except for my vacation to Cancun with Hurricane Keith a few years back)

But it sounds to me like you are good to go!

4. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    i am in southwest mississippi near mccomb but any storm that comes close we get alot of damageing winds and rain i lived in LA duing katrina and was 8 month preg with son came to my mom thought it was safe but the winds tore alot of stuff uo and tres nocked down and my uncles simliar shed was blown all over the yard but he did not have his tied down and was out of ights for a log time we moved close to my moms a year later then when gustav came a large tree branch landed on the roof of the house where me and my three kids and newphew was in knocked down a huge old tree but my uncles shed dod not move because this time he had it tied down was out of lights again for a long time. I know our damage did not compare to damage along the coast and in NO but we get alot of damaging winds and i just want to make sure that the coop and chickens are safe if this stupid stom comes this diection like they perdict it to if it gets stronger.

5. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    McComb---

You are actually a good bit north of me.

Tie it down.

Katrina, Rita, Gustav

No fun

6. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    yea i am a good bit north of you and no they were not fun we live ount in the woods so we get alot of trees down and alot of wind damage and lots and lots of rain how can i keep the water out away from my chickens the coop on the ground and when it rains a little water gets in today we are going to go get some gravel to put around the edges and in a low spot inside the coop should that keep the water out. My kids will be asking us every 5 min to go check on them if they think they will get hurt. They have temp roosts that are about a foot off the ground until i can go and buy more wood to fix them some higher hopefully this weekend i can get that done. The coop is partialy under some trees. i will post a pic of the coop its not that extravigant just a simple storage shed we comverted and a run. It does not have a name yet but it works and was alot cheaper to build since money is very tight. the pic is posted below

[​IMG]

ty everyone for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: