Question of the Day - Monday, April 29th, 2024

Pics
The one that doesn't have a battery....they don't even make the battery anymore....
I've deleted bloatware, turned off Cortana (which takes an absurd amount of ram, turns itself on every update), completely deleted/disabled all pre-installed software. Yet it still struggles to play just mp3s without a struggle.
I bought it during 2022, when pickings were slim and I thought mine was dying. It's been like this since the beginning.
Linux. Find the guide to install Linux Mint on there. What's the laptop's make and model? If it has a Intel or AMD sticker, can you tell me what it says on there?

Linux Mint is fairly easy to use for people who have never used it before and is well worth it. You can even have it split the hard drive so you can keep Windows and have Linux on the side. Some people here might say it's difficult but it's not that hard. And once it's installed it's pretty much a breeze. I've installed it for a old, not techy at all guy and he loves it.

Linux. Find the guide to install Linux Mint on there. What's the laptop's make and model? If it has a Intel or AMD sticker, can you tell me what it says on there?

Linux Mint is fairly easy to use for people who have never used it before and is well worth it. You can even have it split the hard drive so you can keep Windows and have Linux on the side. Some people here might say it's difficult but it's not that hard. And once it's installed it's pretty much a breeze. I've installed it for a old, not techy at all guy and he loves it.

This is what I have, https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07119838
I've always meant to expand the ram, which I'm fairly certain is the root problem but it hasn't happened yet.

This is what I have, https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07119838
I've always meant to expand the ram, which I'm fairly certain is the root problem but it hasn't happened yet.
It's both the RAM and hard drive. Not sure if the RAM can be upgraded. But the spec sheet says it have a 5400 RPM hard drive. And that is very very very slow. You should pop a SSD in there. It probably will do much better with a SSD, since slow hard drives will make everything sluggish.

It's both the RAM and hard drive. Not sure if the RAM can be upgraded. But the spec sheet says it have a 5400 RPM hard drive. And that is very very very slow. You should pop a SSD in there. It probably will do much better with a SSD, since slow hard drives will make everything sluggish.
Best I could get at the time, either that or a chromebook. :)sick)
I honestly thought it had solid state drive, I'll look in to updating it. Thanks for the help.

I honestly thought it had solid state drive, I'll look in to updating it. Thanks for the help.
Oof. No, don't do chromebook! Yikes!

Put your ear up to it. There should be a spinny noise. It's different than a fan noise. Some clicking might be hearable.

If you ever need tech help, PM me. That goes for everyone on BYC.

Windows 10 /11 sucks on 4gb of ram, sadly. You really need 8 minimum and 16 ideally.

If you'd like to look at DIY upgrading it, Here's a 16gb kit that will work in your laptop, is decent, AND inexpensive. Swapping it is a few screws and the back plate, then easy pop-out/pop-in, 5-10 minutes even if you have never done it.

If you don't have an SSD, that's also a performance adder, but it'll mean totally reinstalling the OS, which you may not be interested in doing. not sure your comfort level with tech.

Me who has no idea how to use a computer
My Eyes Reaction GIF by Rosanna Pansino

Windows 10 sucks on 4gb of ram, sadly. You really need 8 minimum and 16 ideally.

If you'd like to look at DIY upgrading it, Here's a 16gb kit that will work in your laptop, is decent, AND inexpensive. Swapping it is a few screws and the back plate, then easy pop-out/pop-in, 5-10 minutes even if you have never done it.

If you don't have an SSD, that's also a performance adder, but it'll mean totally reinstalling the OS, which you may not be interested in doing. not sure your comfort level with tech.
:goodpost:

I will say this:
I have worked with many devices and stuff. Windows 10 will always run terrible on a 5400RPM drive, and toss 4GB of RAM in, and you have a terrible performing laptop. I have a laptop with a SSD and 4GB of un-upgradeable RAM and it runs the base Win10 system with Lenovo bloat just dandy unless you have a few tabs open.

Clonezilla is worth a try for copying the data over. And it's better just to install clean Windows 10 since i've heard not so nice things about HP bloatware before.

Back
Top Bottom