Question of the Day - Sunday, May 12th, 2024

I have more online friends than IRL friends.

When you live way out in the boonies, it's easy to lose contact with people you used to see all the time. They don't want to drive "all the way out there." You try to keep in touch, but when you can't just bop on over for coffee, or get together for dinner on the spur of the moment, the connections start to fray.

I have more online friends than IRL friends.

When you live way out in the boonies, it's easy to lose contact with people you used to see all the time. They don't want to drive "all the way out there." You try to keep in touch, but when you can't just bop on over for coffee, or get together for dinner on the spur of the moment, the connections start to fray.
yup, had that happen. Or they say " we will keep in touch" and I write them and never hear from them again!

I don't know how to put a number on friends. I have a good bit but some much more closer than others. I have a lot more female friends than male, but mainly because I work with 95% females and some of them for a long time. But, it is also correct to say that I enjoy the company of females more than males. I tend to stay friends with females even if our lives take us in different directions. I mean we still tend to stay in touch, and maybe spend some time together every so often when we can. But, with guys it is once out of sight, out of mind, and move on.

I think about the 4 close guy friends I had growing up, and how I had assumed we would always be friends. But, I haven't seen, or talked to, any of them in years. One did die young, but even then I had not been around him for some time. And, if you think about it, you just never know when the last time you will see, or even ever talk to, someone again. You don't usually know it in the moment.

If you go by facebook, hundreds. Mostly people who impulse added me because they remember my name from school or work, that kind of thing. If you count by how many of them would show up at my wake, 20, 30 tops. Now, if we're going by who would show up in the middle of the night with shovels, quicklime, garbage bags, and no questions asked... Four.

Back
Top Bottom