Question of the Day - Tuesday, May 14th, 2024

Yes! My elementary school set up a play town in the large gymnasium, where we had to apply for jobs. I worked for the print shop, making signs for all the other shops. At the end of the day we were "paid," and we got to go to the "bank" to deposit our pay and get little fake checkbooks we could use to purchase things from around the play town. I wanted to work at the bank so badly because it paid the most, but I got to buy the little stuffed toy I had my eye on so I wasn't too upset. It was a really neat way of teaching kids how to write and balance checkbooks, and how to plan a budget since there were things we had to spend some of our play money on that day, like the town taxes and a lunch. It was called "Enterprise City," and if I recall correctly it was done every year for all the fifth graders in the nearby school districts.

Edit: I actually found an article on it, and I guess my memory got things mixed up because it wasn't in my elementary school, but I certainly never forgot how to write a check after working there!

Enterprise City
What a great idea!

Yes. I took a record keeping course last year and Dave Ramsey's personal finance course the year before that. Very helpful info. I pay for all of my bird expenses with checks to keep track of costs.

Yes! My elementary school set up a play town in the large gymnasium, where we had to apply for jobs. I worked for the print shop, making signs for all the other shops. At the end of the day we were "paid," and we got to go to the "bank" to deposit our pay and get little fake checkbooks we could use to purchase things from around the play town. I wanted to work at the bank so badly because it paid the most, but I got to buy the little stuffed toy I had my eye on so I wasn't too upset. It was a really neat way of teaching kids how to write and balance checkbooks, and how to plan a budget since there were things we had to spend some of our play money on that day, like the town taxes and a lunch. It was called "Enterprise City," and if I recall correctly it was done every year for all the fifth graders in the nearby school districts.

Edit: I actually found an article on it, and I guess my memory got things mixed up because it wasn't in my elementary school, but I certainly never forgot how to write a check after working there!

Enterprise City
I love this idea!

No, but considering my bank charges for checkbooks (I think like 30 bucks for one) and it's less hassle to pay other ways I never had a checkbook either

Back
Top Bottom