Question on adding a roo to the flock...

MsMelvin

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
I have 5 Rhodie hens, hatched last June. They are happy, healthy and pretty much spoiled rotten...I am considering adding a RIR roo for protection so they can free range this summer when we are home. (Also Dad thinks he wants peeps this year...perfect).

Any thoughts...or am I asking for trouble?

Pros and cons please.

Sally

You can try it. If their is a problem with the rooster you can rehome him or make soup. I just took one nasty rooster for a drive to the feed store to be rehomed.

We just brought home a one month old RIR rooster and the girls hate him. So we are keeping him in his own pen near the girls until he is big enough to hold his own. They are free range and he will be one day I hope.
smile.png

I'll keep ya posted.

Quote:
That can happen. Most people think of roos as ruling the flock. Not always so. Dominant hens can give a young roo a really bad time.

Thank you for the information...I will hold off on adopting a roo until I see how your story unfolds. I also thought the roo's rule the roost; so to speak.
hmm.png

Sally

I took a roo last year and just threw him in with the 20 or so girls and he stayed in the egg box for about 2 weeks after that now all my girls have barebacks he adjusted just fine now he is in charge he calls and they all come running. The only problem with him though is his clock is way off he starts crowing about 11:30 at nite till about 3 am then starts again at daybreak. I think mabye he needs some prozac.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That can happen. Most people think of roos as ruling the flock. Not always so. Dominant hens can give a young roo a really bad time.

As stated, be sure the rooster you add is mature. Older hens will reject a youngster, but a cock will dominate and take his place as flock leader. Another advantage of a mature cock is that you can observe his attitude before you take him home. A youngster may grow into a monster.

If you introduce an adult roo, be aware that your most dominant hens will challenge him for leadership of the flock.

We introduced two new hens and a roo to the flock last night. They'd been quarantined and then housed in a chicken tractor in the pasture so everyone could get to know each other with no bloodshed. Opened the tractor, the hens came out, no problems at all. The roo--he was in fight after fight after fight after fight. We put him back into the chicken tractor.

Back
Top Bottom