Question on building my Chicken Run

I was told that chicken wire is good to keep chickens in. It does little or nothing to stop a coyote or stray dog. I'm using 2x4 welded wire for big predators with 1/2" hardware cloth both buried and rolled out from the coop. I figure this is like putting candy on a table just out of reach of kids. They get hungry they are desparate and will do amazing things to get to food. I'm also putting an electric wire around my coop and run. I'm gonna run it low and high for different predators. I may be overdoing it but my biggest fear is to have to shoot my neighbors dogs(we are good friends). Like the earlier post said it's to late if you don't do it right the first time. Good Luck

Quote:
They call them wood rats where I live, though I am not sure what the difference is between one rat and another. After twenty years of having them find their way into my attic, and my basement, my compost, my emergency supplies, I have had to give in and learn to live with them. I find solace on the fact that around here they pretty much live of the fruit and nuts that grow in the area, and my compost. They stay out of the house because there are 3 big cats. That won't work so well in the coop.
But I HATE finding dead rats.
I keep my dog food outside in a metal garbage can and they have never gotten in it. That's what I plan to do with the chicken feed, but there is not much I can do about the food the chickens drop. As long as they don't attack the chickens.
I try to think of them as Templeton in Charlottes Web, LOL

Wow, My husband and I are trying to plan our coop and run for 3-5 hens. I'll get the chicks this weekend hopefully and that will give us a few weeks to finish off our coop. I've never done this before, so I'm reading tons and learning alot. The info here about protecting my babies is invaluable. It seems there is some pretty consistant advice. Thank you for asking the questions and everyone for the info.

If it isn't a concern for coyotes and mountain lions, then what about domestic dogs and hawks? Also you may consider the crazy kids down the street. These days it's hard to trust anything

Back
Top Bottom