1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on EE eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by foothillsfiber, Dec 23, 2011.

1. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    will the chicks lay eggs the color from which they were hatched from, ie green egg chick laying green eggs, blue egg chick laying blue eggs or is it all just a gamble.

2. cochin_kookoo

cochin_kookoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2011
    Ureka, CO
    I'm pretty sure it is just a gamble. However I am not 100% sure on that.

3. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I've been trying to find out for months [​IMG]

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

It's a genetic thing, like human eye color. If you do a search on here you will find a bunch of threads explaining the genetics.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Yep. It's a bit of a gamble.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Anytime you're dealing with mixed breeds you increase the number of genetic markers and the odds of drawing a certain match also increases. Short answer, maybe,maybe not.

7. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    A gamble, the egg it hatched from only accounts for 1/2 it's genetics (the hens) it doesn't account for the males input.

8. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    thanks for the info

9. chickmanna

chickmanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Battle Ground, WA
    So just trying to clarify. If I purchase EE eggs from unknown parentage, I can't depend on the egg color to predict much of anything?

A pink or brown egg could be carrying a blue-shell gene from the Roo, but not from the hen, cause if she had one the egg would be blue or green?

Or a blue/green egg could be the result of a hen carrying a blue shell gene, but she contributes her recessive gene and the rooster also contributes a non-blue so the resulting chick could carry no blue gene and produce brown or pink eggs? Is this bird still considered an EE?

I was under the apparently mistaken idea that EEs by definition carried one blue shell gene. But, statistically, it would seem that if this was the case, 25% of the offspring would not get a blue shell gene. So do true EEs have to have one pure Ameraucana parent?

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm in the UK and we don't have EEs over here [​IMG] but I was under the impression that an EE isn't an actual proper breed of bird, it's just a description for a chicken of uncertain breeding that usually has a muff and/or beard and lays a fancy coloured egg that could be anything from pale blue to dark olive green. If I'm wrong I apologise, and I'll be happy to be corrected, but that's my understanding of it. I think EEs usually have Araucana or Ameraucana ancestry somewhere in the mix, but I don't think there's any defined parental percentage required for a chicken to be considered a 'proper' EE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by