Question on Egg carton hatching.

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
My eggs will be on day 18 wensday I'd like for them to hatch in the egg carton so when one chick hatches it wont be playing kick ball with the other eggs. They have just been laying on there sides this whole time during incubation will it effect them to put them into a egg carton for hatching??

you should have been turing them throughout the incubation time. so moving them to put them in the carton would not affect them. with 3 days left is when the chick gets into position to be able to hatch so what ever position the egg is in the chick will accomodate it.

Did you move them every day ??

Most people use the egg carton method throughout the incubation period and they rock the carton back and forth a few times a day.

If you did not have a turner, this is what most do.

A hen will roll her eggs continually a little bit at a time.

It shouldn't hurt them at all. Just be gentle and move slowly when you put them in the carton.
smile.png

It does no harm. I've done it that way several times. The only potential problem is if you have a still air and large eggs they can end up in higher temps when put in the carton. Still airs layer so that even going up an inch or 2 can add a degree. Usually not enough of a problem to worry about though.

I have been hand turning them 3 times a day. They are tiny silkie eggs I even have to adjust the cartons to make them fit. Just wanted to make sure it wouldnt hurt them from being laid on their sides the whole incubation period to being put in a egg carton to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom