question on egg color genetics (and possible feather color)

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I am hatching a couple eggs from my Blue EE. She lays amazing teal eggs......

The possible Roo's are: Blue Cochin......... So if he fertilzied her eggs what color Chicks could I get and what color eggs might they lay if they are girls. Would it work like any other Blue x Blue with splash, blue or black chicks???

2nd possible Roo: Splash Project Cochin....... he came from a green egg I got from a breeder working on this project for 3 years to look like a Cochin but lay green eggs...... The pullets I kept from this hatch lay brown, but some I sold from the hatch after (not sure on the same hatch since I haven't heard from the people I sold those to. some lay brown some lay green). So would the chicks be splash or Blue if he fertilized the eggs????? And what color eggs could they lay if girls? Could he pass on a green gene where he came from a green egg?

I also just hatched some from my project Cochin pullets that hatched from a green egg but lay brown. If the project Roo fertilized those do the chicks have a chance of laying green, where both parents hatched from green eggs, or only brown?

Blue is the same blue gene when it comes to feathers.

There's no green egg gene, it's the blue egg gene working with the existing brown.
So, when some offspring don't lay blue / green that means the original stock was heterozygous (single copy) not homozygous (double copy) for the blue egg gene.

With a rooster, it's hard to know what egg color genes he is carrying until you test breed them, or send a DNA sample to be tested at the labs that do this.

Breeding EE's poses the same question. Does she have two copies, or one?
Either way, some of her kids will get one copy and lay Green(ish) when crossed with a brown egg breed.
The question is how many. The chance could be low enough that one hatch doesn't produce any. But if the rooster does carry one copy your chances improve. :)

If a hen doesn't lay blue or green, she doesn't have any copies of the blue egg gene to pass down.

Blue is the same blue gene when it comes to feathers.

There's no green egg gene, it's the blue egg gene working with the existing brown.
So, when some offspring don't lay blue / green that means the original stock was heterozygous (single copy) not homozygous (double copy) for the blue egg gene.

With a rooster, it's hard to know what egg color genes he is carrying until you test breed them, or send a DNA sample to be tested at the labs that do this.

Breeding EE's poses the same question. Does she have two copies, or one?
Either way, some of her kids will get one copy and lay Green(ish) when crossed with a brown egg breed.
The question is how many. The chance could be low enough that one hatch doesn't produce any. But if the rooster does carry one copy your chances improve. :)

If a hen doesn't lay blue or green, she doesn't have any copies of the blue egg gene to pass down.
Thank you. I knew about the 1 or 2 genes but wasn't sure how that worked really for passing onto off spring so that helped!

ok so my hens that lay brown but hatched from green eggs don't have any copies of the blue egg gene to pass on so their off spring can't lay colored? Did I understand that right? If the roo carries one blue egg gene and the hen none is there a chance for colored eggs or no? (since I have zero clue what one my Roo carries)

Thinking if I get a lot of splash and Blue chicks then I will have a good idea the splash Roo is the one that fertilized the eggs since from what I have read it is hard to get splash from blue x blue even though there is a 25% chance many that I read have been trying for a while and still hadn't gotten splash.

Thank you. I knew about the 1 or 2 genes but wasn't sure how that worked really for passing onto off spring so that helped!

ok so my hens that lay brown but hatched from green eggs don't have any copies of the blue egg gene to pass on so their off spring can't lay colored? Did I understand that right? If the roo carries one blue egg gene and the hen none is there a chance for colored eggs or no? (since I have zero clue what one my Roo carries)

Thinking if I get a lot of splash and Blue chicks then I will have a good idea the splash Roo is the one that fertilized the eggs since from what I have read it is hard to get splash from blue x blue even though there is a 25% chance many that I read have been trying for a while and still hadn't gotten splash.
I don't remember which post on here I got it from, but I downloaded two great charts on this. I better not post them because they aren't mine, but do a search and you should find them.

If you do an out of forum search, one chart says CCL Farms and the other HeadFamilyFarm.com

so my hens that lay brown but hatched from green eggs don't have any copies of the blue egg gene to pass on so their off spring can't lay colored? Did I understand that right?
Correct. The offspring of those hens will not lay colored (blue or green eggs), unless the father of the chicks gives them a blue egg gene.

If the roo carries one blue egg gene and the hen none is there a chance for colored eggs or no? (since I have zero clue what one my Roo carries)
Yes. If the rooster carries one blue egg gene, he should give that to half of his chicks. Each daughter who inherits the blue egg gene will lay blue or green eggs.

Yes, that sounds right.
Blue x blue gives 25% splash
Splash x blue gives 50% splash

So if you get large numbers of splash chicks, it is more likely that the splash rooster is the father but still possible for the blue rooster to be the father. But there might be some chicks from one father and some from the other father, so that would make it harder to tell.

Correct. The offspring of those hens will not lay colored (blue or green eggs), unless the father of the chicks gives them a blue egg gene.

Yes. If the rooster carries one blue egg gene, he should give that to half of his chicks. Each daughter who inherits the blue egg gene will lay blue or green eggs.

Yes, that sounds right.
Blue x blue gives 25% splash
Splash x blue gives 50% splash

So if you get large numbers of splash chicks, it is more likely that the splash rooster is the father but still possible for the blue rooster to be the father. But there might be some chicks from one father and some from the other father, so that would make it harder to tell.
Thank you. That helps a ton!!!!! Since I am not sure who the dad is I won't even mention colored eggs if I sell them. Especially since I don't know if the roo carries a blue gene all I know is he hatched from a green egg.

Back
Top Bottom