question on equipment available to keep water de-iced in winter

kwhit

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Mansfield, MA
Good day All

I am entering my first Winter with 6 laying hens. I am beginning to think of how to keep their water de-iced when we are in the dead of cold weather. I don't have power at their coop. Here are my thoughts:

I want to be able to hang the waterer outside. I don't have enough room in the coop.

1. Put fresh water out twice a day in my regular plastic water container. I normally hang ours outside. The only disadvantage to this idea is when I go away and need to depend on a chicken sitter. I want an easy-use alternative.

2. Take a chance and spend $40-$100 for a heated fountain and run an extension cord from my deck GFCI outlet.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/farm-innovators-heated-poultry-fount-3-gal#desc-tab

3. I am considering buying a bird water bath heater
http://www.audubonworkshop.com/product/Ice_Eliminator_Birdbath_Heater OR
I like this idea
smile.png
http://www.audubonworkshop.com/product/Heated_Ground_Birdbath

For what seems to be a cheap alternative (#1) I feel I should save my money after reviewing the opinions of some of the equipment available. 50% seem happy with the heated waterers. I am thinking maybe I shouldn't rush to buy anything yet and see how this Winter works out. However, on the other hand, I am leaning toward buying the heated ground birdbath.

What have been your experiences and what would you recommend?
I invite your thoughts on this subject
hmm.png

Kwhit

Make a "cookie tin heater"
Chances are you'll spend less than $5 (not counting the drop cords)

It's really nothing more than a light bulb in a container on which you can set your waterer

It's cheap and effective, and many people have all they need to build one just layiing around the house anyway

After many frustrating years of fighting frozen waterers, ...I ignored all the suggestions about the cookie tin heaters cuz of bad reviews, I said heck, nothing else works, I otta try it. I have 6 pens to keep thawed, and I figured out how to make them work.

First reason to love them..they are cheap
2nd reason, easy and safe...I use a 60w bulb, better buy a bunch b4 the govt outlaws these also...I buy cheap lamps from goodwill. Using the guts of the lamp, I am able to stick the bulb and socket inside the cookie tin and close the lid on the cord. Safe, nothing is exposed that would catch on fire. Then I sit waters directly on tin. Did an amazing job all winter, and u def know when bulb dies, water is frozen. Good luck.

After many frustrating years of fighting frozen waterers, ...I ignored all the suggestions about the cookie tin heaters cuz of bad reviews, I said heck, nothing else works, I otta try it. I have 6 pens to keep thawed, and I figured out how to make them work.

First reason to love them..they are cheap
2nd reason, easy and safe...I use a 60w bulb, better buy a bunch b4 the govt outlaws these also...I buy cheap lamps from goodwill. Using the guts of the lamp, I am able to stick the bulb and socket inside the cookie tin and close the lid on the cord. Safe, nothing is exposed that would catch on fire. Then I sit waters directly on tin. Did an amazing job all winter, and u def know when bulb dies, water is frozen. Good luck.

Be careful closing the lid on the cord. After time it will wear the cord and the you could have an "electric cookie tin" that will shock you when you touch it!

I made one of these in March to prepare for this winter. Earlier this week I plugged it in and sat a bucket of water on top of it. After 1 hour the tin was barely warm so there was no way that it would get a bucket of water warm........... I was using a 40 watt bulb and had it all set up in my garage (in Michigan).

Also for anything water & electrical make sure that you are plugging it into a properly wired GFCI outlet. You don't want to go out to the coop in the morning and find "Fried Chicken".

:)

"Barely warm" is WELL above freezing
It doesn't need to FEEL very warm to be working perfectly

I can positively assure you that in Michigan "barely warm" cookie tin would not have a chance to keep the water from freezing. The bottom of the bucket plastic was still FREEZING cold. I'm positive that if left outside for a period of time it would be one large ice cube.

Now if I had a 100 watt bulb that "might" work.... :)

Back
Top Bottom