Question on feeding chickens

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I know this has been asked before probably. but I would like to know how much 2 or 3 silkie chickens would eat, along with 2 or 3 orpingtons.

Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

Interesting.

I let my chickens eat as much as they want in that I put out layer pellets mixed with a very small amount of scratch.

By the end of the day all three bowls are about 3/4 gone.

I give them a treat of a vegetable or fruit and of course fresh water is always available.

It appears they eat when they want and stop when they are full.

I'm guessing this is OK because I have a couple of special pet chickens that are 8 and 10 years old. Seem healthy.

Last edited:
Hello co BYCs ~

Since I am new at this, I need some feedback. I first got my chickenswhen they were teenagers. Their former owner fed them Purina Layea Crumbles...so that is what I fed them until the first 50 pound bag was gone. A friend of mine suggested the pellets instead, stating that they were less wasteful. So, the next trip to the feed store I picked up the pellets. They seemed to like it for awhile, then seemed to slow down the amount they ate. Sooo I went back to the crumbles mixing it with the left over pellets. They don't seem to really eat as much as they did when I first got them. I fix them a bowl of fruit/vegatables/oatmeal etc. in the morning. Should I stop treating them with this until they begin to eat the crumbles or pellets again? My hens just started laying about a month ago and I am worried that they are not getting enough of the "right" nutrients. Show I be worried??

P.S. My chickens are allowed to free range for only an hour or two every few days, the rest of the time they are in their run and/or coop.
roll.png

Quote:
If you are going to give them the fruits and vegatables (oatmeal is a waste of time and good money: if you want to feed the oats then by Whole Oats) do it after they eat their feed.

Take all their feed away. Feed them the pellets they will eat in 10-15 minutes. Then take it away. Feed the fruit/veg mix right before night-fall. Feed only what they'll eat in 10 minutes and take it away.

Keep doing the above. That is all they need.

Saladin appears to have some good advice here.

I've never had trouble with my chickens eating well. I switched to pellets as someone of
this board said the pellets hold the nutrients better.

Makes sense.

My chickens are healthy and long lived. They like to snack of course, but I'm careful
not to give them snacks until they eat their breakfast first.

Sometimes I'll give them some special treat later in the day, such as apples or sunflower seeks. I like to be sure
they get a fruit or vegetable several times a week.

During laying season I give them a big can of dog food, using a beef base, for the extra protein.

In addition I have a large bowl of oyster shell available which they nibble as I can see the amount gets
reduced over the weeks. This way I know they are getting their calcium.

So far, so good.

Thanks for the feedback Saladin and Jajika!! I guess my biggest mistake was giving them their treat first thing in the Morning... I will go back to feed only in the am and their "midnight snack" just before they go to bed...

On cold mornings I feed mine whole oats, some boss,little crack corn. During the day I give them some greens from my garden . Also, laying pellets 24/7 . This is winter menu.

Back
Top Bottom