Question on floor of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Ma, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Chicken Ma

Chicken Ma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    El Sobrante
    I am having a friend build a coop to attach to my 8 x 12 cyclone fence run. Can I leave the bottom with just dirt, with shavings put over it, or do I need to have a wood or cement, etc. floor?

It is in a corner of my yard and will abutt my fence on two sides, the open run on the third, and my cement walkway on the fourth. (Hope this isn't too confusing!) The run is also covered on the top.

So I'm thinking it's pretty well sheltered and the floor should not get wet when we have rain (I'm in California).
    Do you think this will be okay, or do I need to put in a solid floor? I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    There is no problem with a dirt floor as long as predators cant dig in under the walls.
    Here are some ways to create a barrier against diggers:
    You could bury wire fencing about a foot straight down into the ground around the coop and the pen to prevent that. Of course in most of California, since it hasnt rained, the ground is hard as cement, so it might take a lot of work to trench for the wire.
    Instead, you form some fence wire in an "L" shape so that the bottom portion extends at least 1 foot out on the ground from the exterior of the coop and pen. Then put some rocks or old bricks on the wire to hold it down until the ground softens up enough to stake it down or trench.

Several of my coops have dirt floors and I like them because the ground is so dry and hard that it stays pretty clean. Just rake it out once in a while. (Im in CA, too)

Welcome to BYC
    Chel

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Seems it never rains in southern California
    Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
    It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?
    It pours, man, it pours [​IMG]

If you build up the soil inside the coop about 4 to 6 inches, it should give you a little more insurance against wet chicken feet and shavings when it does rain [​IMG].

Steve

4. Chicken Ma

Chicken Ma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    El Sobrante
    Wow! I even got a song! Cool!

Thanks to both of you for the help. I'm more in the city than country, so don't have too much trouble with predators. But I appreciate the advice on how to do the wire thing. I didn't think about doing it that way, but it's a great idea.

Thanks again!

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by