Question on Grit

Auscal

Songster
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
I have some 6 1/2 week old chicks, currently they are free-ranging on my lawn during the day, and inside in a brooder at night. In a week they will be out to the coop permanently. Their run is sandy dirt, will they need additional grit?

Last edited:
If they're free ranging, they're likely to find all the grit they need. My ground is very sandy here in South Carolina and sand does work, but there's almost always some larger grit available amongst the sand too. Even though, and since I baby my chicks...I've made chick grit (available at TSC) available to mine in a separate container. Some folks even use small plain aquarium gravel. It doesn't have to be fancy since it's basically just crushed rock, what ever suffices the best at low cost. Even others have posted going down to the nearest beach or creek bed to dig up coarse sand and small rocks/grit. If in doubt, supplement...it's cheap and provides peace of mind. If you do supplement, monitor their intake so they don't fill themselves up on grit and stop feeding for a while. When I introduced my chicks to grit for the first time (at 4 weeks), I put the grit in a separate container and made it available to them for 30 minutes each day...just to ensure that each chick had some and didn't gorge themselves with it.
wink.png

I agree. If they are free range they will find the grit the need. They don't require much and they know when they need it. As long as they are out and about they will find it.

If the run is too small or becomes too organic in nature, it is possible they might not take in adequate grit. However, if they have access to your yard for an hour a day or more, they'll pick up all the stones and pebbles and broken chips of stones they possibly need. Chickens were kept, have been kept for centuries and until recently, which farmer ever considered going and buying grit? When I picture my grandparents the thought is almost humorous.

Sure, you want to pick some up at the store?, it'll do no harm. Our entire property is grit, so no, I don't buy any, except when I order a few tons of gravel for our driveway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom