Question on hand tools... chisels?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So... I have my normal power tools. I like them. But I thought it would be nice to have hand tool backups because of how the country is going. if you have tools you can make the things you need to survive. shelter, etc.

And one of the things I wanted to get more information on was chisels. Specifically;

Do you use the same kind of chisels for wood and stone? Or wood compared to stone usage? carving stone versus carving wood?

And how do you tell the good chisels from ... lesser quality ones?

I'd like to be able to tell to get something that will last but not spend too much at the same time. And an example use; people used to use chisels to shape rock for cementing into chimneys; rock chimneys, etc.

Wood chisels and stone chisels are NOT the same.

Before you consider stone chisels, figure out whether you have the right stone for it. Most people don't.

The Egyptians worked in stone. Sandstone.
The Mayans worked in stone. Limestone and Sandstone.
The monuments in India? Sandstone.

If you have igneous rocks? Don't bother.

Flint doesn't need fancy tools - but you won't be building out of it unless you are doing dry stacked stone, and that takes mad practice.

If you can make mortar, you don't need much shaping, just a selection of rock sizes.

No idea how to find good wood chisels - but before you start, find a good sharpening stone that doesn't require power. The secret to any wood chisel is being SHARP!

the right woods help though.

So... I have my normal power tools. I like them. But I thought it would be nice to have hand tool backups because of how the country is going. if you have tools you can make the things you need to survive. shelter, etc.

And one of the things I wanted to get more information on was chisels. Specifically;

Do you use the same kind of chisels for wood and stone? Or wood compared to stone usage? carving stone versus carving wood?

And how do you tell the good chisels from ... lesser quality ones?

I'd like to be able to tell to get something that will last but not spend too much at the same time. And an example use; people used to use chisels to shape rock for cementing into chimneys; rock chimneys, etc.
There’s a variety of chisels available that perform different tasks. Wood chisels are usually less durable than masonry ones cause you need a higher quality metal to be able to cut through or shape harder surfaces (stone/brick/concrete/rock/etc.)

How do you tell good from bad? The sharpness/thickness of the blade and prices tend to reflect that. You don’t want to end up buying a cheap tool that gets dull constantly and you’re having to sharpen it all the time just to use it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom