1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sgoldinger, Oct 8, 2012.

1. sgoldinger

sgoldinger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Justin, TX
    Evening everyone, looking for some help. Set eggs 22 days ago in my incubator. My electric company has decided that they are going to be replacing all the meters with smart meters, I have had many many power outages. When I candled the eggs on day 18, I could still see movement, but still no pipping. Do I let the eggs go a few more days and hope for the best or do I call it quits? I've seen things online that says it can be up to 24 days before the eggs hatch.

This is my first 4 eggs from my hens that I am trying to hatch. Any help would be greatly appreciated and any encouragement..

Temp is currently running about 100 and humidity is about 60%.

Thanks in advance.
    Sebrina

2. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Leave them be, powere outages (especially the last few days) don't always kill. In fact I had a 16 day old embryo survive 3 days and 2 nights on the kitchen table at room tempature. It's a long story of how the little guy got there, but the little gut survived. I had one hatch in which my thermometer was off so the incubation run cooler than it was supposed too without my knowing and the majority hatched on day 23 with some hatching on day 25 and one hatching on day 26. Most people reccomend leaving them until day 27 unless you are 100% sure that they have passed away. Good Luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

3. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Leave them. I've had eggs that went through a 3 day power outtage in a shed and they just hatched 3 days late is all. I've also had some without any power outtages with perfect temp and humidity hatch several days late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by