Question on isolation

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
When adding birds to an existing flock, I know the newcomers should be isolated for a month. If I’m adding a group - how far away (distance) do I need to have them if they are all out of doors? Somethings can really travel - like Mareks - so I’m wondering how I’d do that. I’d put a sick bird on a crate indoors but not a new flock…

Marek's is spread from the dander of an infected or carrier chicken, and that dander can travel in a breeze or wind for miles. If you have a shelter for them and are downwind at least, that should help.

Folks in cities/towns can't go very far away at all, so I guess I'd just try to put them the furthest you feasibly could.

True quarantine is quite difficult. Not many backyard peeps do it ,,, and those that do,,, are not really achieving the results a true quarantine would.
I believe the distance should be at least 400 feet.
You would also need to change clothing, and footwear when going between one, and the other.
Another note about Mareks. That stuff does not go away with quarantine. If Mareks is in your grounds,,, it will be there for a very loooooong time, even after you remove all your chickens.

My view about introducing new birds to a new flock.
Get your chickens from a known healthy flock. I know,,, Try Your Best. Then introduce them separated by a fence. A chicken wire barrier works well. Then after about a week, let them mingle together supervised.
If there is vicious bullying, then consider keeping separate a while longer. There will be pecking order spats,,, so be aware of those. As long as there is no REAL harm/injury done flock should integrate well.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

When adding birds to an existing flock, I know the newcomers should be isolated for a month. If I’m adding a group - how far away (distance) do I need to have them if they are all out of doors? Somethings can really travel - like Mareks - so I’m wondering how I’d do that. I’d put a sick bird on a crate indoors but not a new flock…
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

Marek's is spread from the dander of an infected or carrier chicken, and that dander can travel in a breeze or wind for miles. If you have a shelter for them and are downwind at least, that should help.

Folks in cities/towns can't go very far away at all, so I guess I'd just try to put them the furthest you feasibly could.
This was what I thought - pretty hard. My current flock has all had the Mareks vaccine, so perhaps I don't have to worry too much about it. I can set up a pen that is on the opposite side of the property since that's the best I can do. I will try to find birds with the vaccine - but I hear it's hard for small breeders to do it. I haven't started my search yet - wanted to avoid the big breeders - my last batch was disappointing in the quality of the birds.

This was what I thought - pretty hard. My current flock has all had the Mareks vaccine, so perhaps I don't have to worry too much about it. I can set up a pen that is on the opposite side of the property since that's the best I can do. I will try to find birds with the vaccine - but I hear it's hard for small breeders to do it. I haven't started my search yet - wanted to avoid the big breeders - my last batch was disappointing in the quality of the birds.
The mareks vaccine will not prevent the disease, it just reduces the chances of the deadly tumors to grow. So vaccinated birds could have and spread the disease and never show symptoms.

True quarantine is quite difficult. Not many backyard peeps do it ,,, and those that do,,, are not really achieving the results a true quarantine would.
I believe the distance should be at least 400 feet.
You would also need to change clothing, and footwear when going between one, and the other.
Another note about Mareks. That stuff does not go away with quarantine. If Mareks is in your grounds,,, it will be there for a very loooooong time, even after you remove all your chickens.

My view about introducing new birds to a new flock.
Get your chickens from a known healthy flock. I know,,, Try Your Best. Then introduce them separated by a fence. A chicken wire barrier works well. Then after about a week, let them mingle together supervised.
If there is vicious bullying, then consider keeping separate a while longer. There will be pecking order spats,,, so be aware of those. As long as there is no REAL harm/injury done flock should integrate well.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you! I can do the 400 feet in any case. A lot of people near me have flocks and most deaths are by predator. Yes - the local sourcing is what I was thinking I'd try to attempt but a little scarier than an NPIP hatchery. Fingers crossed.

I can set up a pen that is on the opposite side of the property since that's the best I can do.
As regards Mareks, I think you are right that it can travel much further than the distance you can manage.

But for some other things like internal worms and external mites/lice, that amount of distance is probably enough that you can check the new birds and treat if needed, without it spreading to your current flock.

So you will get some benefit from the distance you are able to do.

As regards Mareks, I think you are right that it can travel much further than the distance you can manage.

But for some other things like internal worms and external mites/lice, that amount of distance is probably enough that you can check the new birds and treat if needed, without it spreading to your current flock.

So you will get some benefit from the distance you are able to do.
Thanks! That's a plan! I haven't had the worms and mites - yet - so that is an important consideration. Also any respiratory illnesses, I hope. I can manage about 300 feet I think - maybe a little more.

Back
Top Bottom