Question on possible Barred Rock chicks...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amgreen1980, May 7, 2011.

1. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    I have 3 Barred Rocks that are somewhere around 2-2 1/2 weeks old. One of them has NO tail feathers showing yet at all and the other 2's tail feathers are about 1/4-1/2 inch long. Is this indicative of something? Gender, age discrepancy?

Also, of the 3 barred rocks, my 'tailless girl is the only one with obvious 'barring' on her wings. One of them has almost no white on her wings at all. Thoughts?

Here is the one without tail feathers....
    [​IMG]

Is this a Barred Rock? She does have a white chest, but no barring yet on her wings...
    [​IMG]

And just for grins, this is #3.
    [​IMG]

SO, do I have 3 barred rocks? Will the white come in later?

2. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    I'm not real experienced, but I'd say, YES, you have 3 barred rocks and #2 and #3 are pullets and #1 is a roo.... I have 5 BR pullets and none of them have much white in their feathering- and they are 5 weeks old! [​IMG]

ETA: It may be kind of early to tell for sure... but I'm making my guesses based on what I've read on other threads about BR coloring and my own experience with my current brood.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. amgreen1980

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Quote:Well, I would be happy with that! Except for the fact that her name is Constance! [​IMG] I kinda hope she is a HE! [​IMG] So, does anyone know if LACK of tail feathers at this age indicates boy?

4. FyshWyfe

FyshWyfe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    I don't know much, but aren't the females supposed to have the ink wash down the fronts of their legs? Baby #1 doesn't seem to have that, but I can't be sure. I don't think he looks like a girl. [​IMG]

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I would say #1 is a boy because of the wide white barring that is already showing on his wing. I've never heard that tail feathers are a gender indicator (and I've never really seen it here either). Barred rock boys do show a lot of white early in the game though. The girls have smudgy white early on that eventually turns into a thinner white barring in mostly black. If #1 is a boy he will be noticeably whiter once he feathers all the way in. You can't miss the visual difference.

#2 and #3 look like girls to me as well. [​IMG]

6. amgreen1980

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    [​IMG] I am so excited!!! I know it is still early in the game, but I was really really wanting at least one Roo. We are out in the country and plan to free range mostly, and I really like the idea of the girls having someone to watch over them! And, this one is 'MY' baby. My little dirty butt that none of the kids wanted to claim because of pasty butt. I just went down and looked in on them, and 'he' is laying alone, while all of the girls are in a great big chicky pile! [​IMG]

I love chickens!!![​IMG] LOL

7. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    #2 kind of looks like a black australorp.

8. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I think your right a trio of Barred rocks.. Fun Fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by