Question on processed chicken

Matejka

Free Ranging
I received 2 ffa chickens from a fair project. Cornish x, she took them to someone local for butchering and processing. She took them on a Thursday, with the understanding they would be butchered on Friday, and she could pick them up the next week-processed, parted out, however she requested.
She picked them up on Wednesday, brought my 2 whole birds on Thursday.
I was expecting vacuum sealed whole birds freshly killed.
They were. Also, froze solid, hard as a rock. Did they give time for rigor to pass? When I thaw, do I need to let them sit in fridge a couple of days, just in case?
Does rigor pass after a bird being frozen?

I received 2 ffa chickens from a fair project. Cornish x, she took them to someone local for butchering and processing. She took them on a Thursday, with the understanding they would be butchered on Friday, and she could pick them up the next week-processed, parted out, however she requested.
She picked them up on Wednesday, brought my 2 whole birds on Thursday.
I was expecting vacuum sealed whole birds freshly killed.
They were. Also, froze solid, hard as a rock. Did they give time for rigor to pass? When I thaw, do I need to let them sit in fridge a couple of days, just in case?
Did they give time for rigor to pass?
Probably not.
When I thaw, do I need to let them sit in fridge a couple of days, just in case?
I let mine sit, thawing in the fridge for 2 days. If you are worried, wiggle the joints to makes sure they are loose. If still stiff, wait another day. No biggie in a cold fridge.
Yes. Freezing just suspends the rigor.

Back
Top Bottom