Question on Roosters

lisalisa1969

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Hello! I have had a flock since Sept. 2010. I have 2 buff orphington hens, 2 cochin hens, 1 americana hen, 1 golden comet hen, 1 faverolle rooster and 1 little buckeye roster. I do have a question. Today I heard the buckeye crow for the first time! My Favorolle rooster is very docile and nice. I have had him with the little buckeye since Sept. and they have gotten along just fine. My question is, now that the little buckeye is getting older, will I have to separate them or be worried about them fighting??? Please advise :eek:)

First off,
welcome-byc.gif
and secondly as long as you don't see blood being shed they will be just fine.

It is very common to have an alpha (dominant) rooster when there is more than one rooster in the flock. Usually, the subordinate roosters "know their places" in the flock.

I have multiple roosters (actually far too many) and there is very little conflict. One young but quite large roo challenged my dominant roo, and there was a five minute fight involving a lot of noise, a lot of crest flaring and jumping at each other. Some feather loss occurred before the challenger gave up. He now avoids the alpha roo; all Carl has to do is flare his neck feathers and make a short dash at Kellogg, and Kellogg finds somewhere else to be.

All the other roosters know who is Boss Roo, and No. 2.

As has already been mentioned, if there is no blood loss, it should be okay. Your buckeye grew up in the flock, which makes it easier than if you just added a mature roo to the flock.

Last edited:
With my experience if to roosters grow up together, then they will be best friends, and you can even put a new rooster with another rooster, it just takes a little while. They have to have little supervised playdates.

Hope fully you will not have to separate them but if they strat pecking eachother often it's time to separate. It can also be that a rougher rooster attacks the friendly rooster.

Back
Top Bottom