Question on run dimensions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by keekerschickens, Mar 24, 2015.

1. keekerschickens

keekerschickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    I seem to be blowing up this forum lately haha... excited newbie!!

Anyway, we're building a coop for our six BRs. We're using TSCs Sunnyside up plan, making some slight modifications for roosts and a run.
    I see the suggestion is 10 sq ft per bird in the run..does this mean 60 sq feet?! If so, we're going to have to go back to the drawing board lol

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    At least, the bigger, the better.

3. Chickenshoe

Chickenshoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    ive got 13 ladies, probably gonna get few guinea's too...im going 10x20 for (200), they are gonna be let out often tho,, go bigger for sure

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    You want to over build the coop and the run because chickens are addicting and you'll want more. [​IMG]

5. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    Thanks. My dads building the coop starting tomorrow and I feel like I add a new feature every day...I am just not a very good spacial thinker and can't seem to visualize 60 sq feet. I'm sure he'll figure it out

6. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    I followed my fence line (a stockade fence) for 80 feet around a corner, and a width of 8 feet. That was for only 3 chickens and it has not one single growing thing left. The bigger the better!!

7. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    Yikes! Does it get really muddy? Maybe a stupid question, but I am supposed to clean the run too, right?

8. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida

Yes, it gets muddy, even though our soil is very sandy. we have had several flooding rains over the years, too. I gave them the whole back corner, but it also happens to be the lowest point of the yard, and it has no access to drainage to our county ditch out front. That was bad planning on my part.

I don't clean out the run because they churn that soil so fast there is really nothing to clean out. I have started buying Timothy blend hay and I throw down about 3 pats at a a time (the divisions in the bales are called pats, like a pat of butter)

The only place that needs cleaning on a regular basis is under where they sleep, and the roost bar they sleep on, which gets very poopy. I like deep sand because it is easy to sift using a homemade scoop: wire hanger with woven safety wire. You could also use 1/4" hardware cloth, a cat litter scoop, or even an old pasta scoop...
    Hardware cloth is metal, not actually cloth...don't ask me why they use that name!)

I do put some wood shavings down where I walk (and in the nest box in winter only: Summer is too hot for it, in my opinion).

Tell your dad 3 chickens = 1 rototiller!
    If you want to clear an area for a garden, put your chickens in it! :lol:

9. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    thank you SO much!!!!!

10. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    10 feet long by 6 feet wide = 60 sq. ft.

On your muddy question...yes it will get muddy. If possible you can cover the run with tin, or go fancy with shingles. It makes life soooo much easier if it's dry in the run. Less moisture equals less smell too. If you can cover it you might want to look at sand or sand & sweet pdz - then you can sift it out with a kitty litter scoop.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by