QUESTION ON this bird?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by annie3001, Aug 2, 2010.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    first time i have ever seen a turkey vulcher? it flew over head my yard. my brother in law said thats what it was. not a hawk. anybody encounter problems with a turkey vulcher? do they make noise, so i know they are near? should i not free range my chickens? my chickens are only let out of their run when i am home. i tried google for more info and didnt find much. thanks again!

andrea:)

2. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Turkey vultures are scavengers. I wouldn't think they would pose a risk.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They are only seeking carrion, I wouldnt worry too much about them.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    My chickens pay them no mind. But a Big Red Tail Hawk will send them under cover.

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    They won't bother them. We have a ton here as the area is a breeding area for them. They sometimes fly over and have a look but they never land here as there is nothing for them to eat here. They like fresh dead animals so they are often seen along the side of the road eating road kill.

6. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    We have them overhead pretty often. They circle. Often in groups. I've never heard a sound out of one. Ugly buggers up close, but beautiful on the wing. They're easy to ID from below - note the v-shaped coloring, and finger-like wing feathers. They've never bothered our birds, and as scavengers, I'm glad to see them eating something ELSE in the woods... preferably before something more predatory comes around. Here's a nice little pic I found of them a year or so ago...

[​IMG]

7. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    No threat to your birds, they already know if they don't run for cover. Feel thankful you have a clean up crew in the area! No more stinky dead animals! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by