Question re: 5-month-old cockerel mating behavior

three_grannies

Chirping
Apr 29, 2022
Hello!

We have a surprise rooster that is 5 months old with pullets ranging from almost 5 months - 7 months of age. None of the pullets are laying yet. Over the past few days, the cockerel has gotten aggressive with the pullets and without warning or getting consent from the pullet, will jump on her back, grab her neck feathers, and mate with her. It is not...pretty. The pullets are very scared, and most of the time they run away while he is still holding on to their neck feathers. It is upsetting to watch! He is a big boy too, and I'm worried he will hurt them (lavender Orpington).

I've read that cockerels mature faster than pullets and don't develop smoother mating behaviors until they are older. I've also read that separating the cockerel from the pullets can help. If I separate him, any recommendations on how long? When will this get better? :(

Rehoming him isn't an option right now (he is my 7-year-old daughter's favorite). I'm assuming this is just immature behavior and he'll grow out of it, but wasn't sure how to handle it.

Including a picture of the offender (his name is Beverly). Thank you!

IMG_3670.jpeg

Hello!

We have a surprise rooster that is 5 months old with pullets ranging from almost 5 months - 7 months of age. None of the pullets are laying yet. Over the past few days, the cockerel has gotten aggressive with the pullets and without warning or getting consent from the pullet, will jump on her back, grab her neck feathers, and mate with her. It is not...pretty. The pullets are very scared, and most of the time they run away while he is still holding on to their neck feathers. It is upsetting to watch! He is a big boy too, and I'm worried he will hurt them (lavender Orpington).

I've read that cockerels mature faster than pullets and don't develop smoother mating behaviors until they are older. I've also read that separating the cockerel from the pullets can help. If I separate him, any recommendations on how long? When will this get better? :(

Rehoming him isn't an option right now (he is my 7-year-old daughter's favorite). I'm assuming this is just immature behavior and he'll grow out of it, but wasn't sure how to handle it.

Including a picture of the offender (his name is Beverly). Thank you!

View attachment 3293714
This is very typical of young roosters. I separate all roosters until they're at least a year old. That's only of I have a flock for them. If not, they stay separate. Roosters will force mating. Even if they know the hen and have been with her for years. My girls run from their rooster and look to us to pick them up to save them! It's OK to separate them. Ours are pets so I'm able to take out Mt lone rooster and he hangs with me while I garden or do work outside.

I'm assuming this is just immature behavior
It almost certainly is.

and he'll grow out of it,
Probably, the vast majority do.

When they are immature the cockerels are hopped up on hormones. The sex act is not about sex as much as it is about flock dominance. It's how they establish and demonstrate flock dominance. They just don't have control over their hormones. The girls have a lot to say about flock dynamics too. Your pullets are still immature and don't have that much control over things, about all they can do is run away or submit. But the personality of the mature hens in the flock has a lot to do with how peaceful it is.

The majority of roosters gain control of those hormones when they mature. The hens generally do their part in the flock when they mature. It is possible to get a hen or a rooster that is a brute but those are fairly rare.

but wasn't sure how to handle it.
That's the big question. Mine don't get hurt when they go through puberty. It looks rough because it is. Violence is involved. Injury is a possibility but it usually looks more dangerous than it is. Some people do have chickens hurt during this phase. I raise several pullets and cockerels with the flock every year. Most years I just let them go, but every three or four years it gets rough enough for me to separate out some of the boys.

If you decide to separate him (I won't criticize you for that decision, it can be hard to watch and I do it myself occasionally) I'd wait until he is 7 months old to try letting him loose. He will mate with some, that is what he is supposed to do. If the girls mate willingly you are good to go. If it is still too rough for you, lock him up another month and try again. And then maybe again. I've had several cockerels manage at 7 months. I had one not manage until 11 months. If, at nine or ten months you are still having issues we can chat about it more.

Thank you all so much! This advice is so helpful. It seemed like things simmered down until today when he took on the head hen and tried to get her to submit for mating. Velma wasn't having it, his comb was injured in the scuffle, and he was really rough with her (luckily she wasn't injured, but stressed). I think I'm going to keep him separated for a bit and see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom