Question re: rice to ducks & chickens

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I had a quick question or 2 regarding giving rice to ducks and chickens.

I've already done a bit of research and it seems people do say you can give cooked rice to ducks and chickens. (Not sure about raw?)

However, given that we eat rice in the house, usually the rice has soy sauce on it, and I'm not sure if the soy sauce can cause any harm to either of them (ducks or chickens)? What do you think about this?

Also, not sure how much protein they get from rice? It seems when you look at protein amounts for rice listed are the human amounts. I think our digestive systems are different than poultry, so it would seem plausible that the protein amount gained on them is different than for us? What do you think about this also?

Thanks ahead of time.

The rice must be cooked for chickens and I doubt soy sauce should be given to them ! I would only give on occasion like when it’s scraps or leftovers but not seasoned or anything! I dont know about ducks tho

Rice does not have to be cooked. It's an old wives tale/urban myth that it needs to be. I used to mix my own feed and part of it was raw brown rice. I never had any issues feeding it raw.

Back
Top Bottom