Question re size of incubators...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IggiMom, Apr 30, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am still agitating about the size of incubator to buy. If you get a bigger one and then do not fill it up, say the 1588 Hovabator, but you only put 15 eggs in it, does it matter?

Or if I think I wouldn't fill it up would it be better to get say the Brinsea 20 ECO which only holds 24 eggs?

But of course, sometimes I might want to do more than that.

I think that the 1588 Hovabator holds maybe 40.

Thanks.

2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    You can always put less eggs, but not more, than the bator can handle. The size of incubator you buy now is a matter of personal preference and possible future uses. Also, a foam incubator or the ECO 20 plastic has to be looked at. I know if I stored a styrofoam bator somewhere, it might not be in one piece next time I find it in the box! The plastic bator "might" survive "rough storage" though![​IMG][​IMG]

3. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Oh! Yeah! I forgot about storing it throughout the winter!

Thanks.

4. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    The less eggs you incubate at one time means the more times you get to incubate!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I love my 1588. My first hatch was only half full I thought I would Never set more than 2 doz eggs . . . then a fellow BYCer offered me FREE eggs and graciously sent me 30[​IMG]
    What would I have done if my incubator only held 24???? I would have had to buy another incubator!!
    As for storing I just saved the very nice box it came in and intend to use that come winter.

6. IggiMom

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well I bought a 1588 Hovabator from Home and Barn Basics. They give a 5% coupon for BTC people, BTW.

I will store it inside in its box; hopefully nothing will get at it there.

I was really thinking of the Brinsea, but I think that I have seen more people really happy with this, so we will see.

Wish me luck.

[​IMG]

7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I would buy a durable largest bator I can afford, in case the addiction grows.

I would also stay away from all styrobators.

1588 is the "finally improved styrobator" how many years it took them to finally improve a miserable performance of former models?

And it is grossly overpriced, 160+ bucks for a piece of sryrofoam.

But it is still styrobator with styrofoam cleaning and durability inherent issues.

8. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Or perhaps you might consider building your own bator....have some self confidence in yourself and build one....think of the pride you will have telling people, yes you built it and it works!

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Good hatching! I think you will be happy with what you bought.

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:pascopol, I can't help but get tickled at your constant bashing of styrofoam incubators. Many people apparently are happily and successfully using them...did you choke on a piece of styrofoam or something when you were a kid?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by