Question regarding introduction of new chickens

davep763

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 25, 2013
So we have 2 (one year olds) chickens (Wyandotte and BO) and are going to add 3 (easter eggers) more because we have plenty of space in the coop and the run (12X6).

I've been reading threads on merging flocks so I'm thinking of putting the new 3 on one side of the run without the coop (it will obviously have water, feed, roost) with a screen in the middle of the run so they can get used to the current chickens. That means the new 3 will be without a coop at night. I live in Denver so was wondering when is a generally safe time to get the new 3? Our last frost date is usually in early May. If I get pullets that are used to being outside it shouldn't be much of a problem, right? I was thinking of keeping them separated for at least a few days, let them free range together and keep a good eye on them to see how they interact.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Correct, I'd have them separated in the run for a few days and then let them in the coop (after a few days) to join the others at night. I'm just not sure how to keep them separate in a smaller coop (4x6)? I guess I could maybe devise something to keep them separate in there?

Last edited:
Wait, so this means that the new chickens will not get a spot in the coop? That is not a good idea.
Yeah. When you first introduce new chickens to your flock, there will almost always be a fight to determine pecking order unless the newcomers are docile and willing to accept a position at the bottom of the pecking order.

Best of luck!

I need to learn more about this, too. Our flock has been dwindling, some to raccoons, some to coyotes, and the last one to one of our dogs who didn't understand that the chicken didn't want to play. I want to start adding more birds, but I need to learn the best way. Don't need gladiator contests in the yard, if we can avoid it.

The weather is good, and we have the space. The coop has two separate sides, one for the chickens and one that the turkeys occasionally use. Is it better to get chicks or young birds or just get adults and let them have at it until they get the ranking system adjusted? I haven't gotten an incubator yet, and leaving their eggs hasn't yielded results yet. Help!

What if you were to use one of those plastic dogs house with hay in the bootom and up the aide a little. This will keep them dry and will allow them to sleep somewhere warm.

You will probably have better luck locking them all up in the coop together for a couple days and then just letting them out together. The pecking order will come naturally and anything we do to alter that order is just messing with nature. Your big worry for the first few days is teaching the new birds that the coop is the safe place...you only do that by letting them live in it for a couple days first...good luck, what ended up happening? Did you get new birds?

You will probably have better luck locking them all up in the coop together for a couple days and then just letting them out together. The pecking order will come naturally and anything we do to alter that order is just messing with nature. Your big worry for the first few days is teaching the new birds that the coop is the safe place...you only do that by letting them live in it for a couple days first...good luck, what ended up happening? Did you get new birds?
Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom