Question regarding need for grit..

father-clucker

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Southern California
If we put our babies outside in a penned up area for a few hours (covered mind you to keep the cats away and whatnot) and let them peck at whatevers in the 'brown' grass, do I need to feed them some super-fine grit as well to aid in the digestion? They currently are eating the starter food that we got when we bought them a week ago.. These are about 3 week old birds or perhaps 3.5 weeks for the two largers and about one week less for the two smallers.

They need grit to process anything other than their chick food, however they may pick up what they need when you have them outside on the ground.

Nevermind.. In reading another post here it sounds as if they'll get enough from the dirt if the area they're in has a dirt patch and our yard qualifies for that description.. Our grass is dead and there are plenty of dirt spots in their small pen we created.. Consider this answered!

I gave my young ones grit as soon as they ate anything other than starter food - I guess you should if they are pecking at bits of stuff outside just to be safe.

Quote:
Thanks! I've not been giving them any treats yet and my kids would love to but I'm holding off until they're a bit older before we go down that path..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom