Question regarding Polish Breeding Coloring/Genetics

Feb 28, 2022
Hi Ya’ll,

I'm having a hard time locating a Polish Breeding color/combination chart. I currently have a Buff Laced hen as well as Golden Laced. What color combinations would we get if we bred our golden laced Roo and Buff Hen together or visa versa?

I also have a Blue satin frizzle Silkie that I was thinking of experimenting with as well.

We also hatched some Amerucanas/EE & Dominques.

Thank you for any suggestions or ideas. 🤠

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time locating a Polish Breeding color/combination chart. I currently have a Buff Laced hen as well as Golden Laced. What color combinations would we get if we bred our golden laced Roo and Buff Hen together or visa versa?
Gold Laced is black lacing on a gold chicken.
Buff Laced is white lacing on a gold chicken.

Genetically, the only difference is the lacing color. That is caused by the gene Dominant White, which turns black into white. Crossing those two colors should give chicks with white lacing.

I also have a Blue satin frizzle Silkie that I was thinking of experimenting with as well.
If it's blue all over, crossing it to the Gold Laced will give chicks that are black or blue all over (half each way.) They may have some gold leakage.

If it's blue all over, crossing it to the Buff Laced will give chicks that are white all over, with a few bits of black or blue showing through and maybe some gold leakage. That's because the Blue chicken contributes the genes for black-all-over and the Buff Laced Polish gives the Dominant White gene that turns black to white (but is a little leaky, so you can get some black or blue bits.) Half the chicks will also have the blue gene, but that won't be obvious because they all look white.

Half the chicks should have frizzle feathers, the other half should have normal feathers. Crest, beard, and 5th toe are caused by dominant genes, so having just one parent with the trait is enough to make it show up in some or all of the chicks.

Dominiques will breed almost like solid-black chickens, so crossing to Gold Laced should give black chicks and crossing to Buff Laced should give white chicks (with some black bits.) Any of those chicks can also show some gold leakage as they grow up.

Dominiques have barring, so a Dominique rooster will give white barring to all his chicks. A Dominique hen will give white barring only to her sons, so a Gold Laced Polish rooster with Dominique hen will give sexlinked chicks: sons black with white barring, daughters black with no white barring.

The white barring from a Dominique parent will not be visible if the chick is otherwise white (Buff Laced parent), but the gene is still there and can appear in the offspring in later generations.

Ameraucana/EE I can't easily predict, because they come in so many colors.

Gold Laced is black lacing on a gold chicken.
Buff Laced is white lacing on a gold chicken.

Genetically, the only difference is the lacing color. That is caused by the gene Dominant White, which turns black into white. Crossing those two colors should give chicks with white lacing.

If it's blue all over, crossing it to the Gold Laced will give chicks that are black or blue all over (half each way.) They may have some gold leakage.

If it's blue all over, crossing it to the Buff Laced will give chicks that are white all over, with a few bits of black or blue showing through and maybe some gold leakage. That's because the Blue chicken contributes the genes for black-all-over and the Buff Laced Polish gives the Dominant White gene that turns black to white (but is a little leaky, so you can get some black or blue bits.) Half the chicks will also have the blue gene, but that won't be obvious because they all look white.

Half the chicks should have frizzle feathers, the other half should have normal feathers. Crest, beard, and 5th toe are caused by dominant genes, so having just one parent with the trait is enough to make it show up in some or all of the chicks.

Dominiques will breed almost like solid-black chickens, so crossing to Gold Laced should give black chicks and crossing to Buff Laced should give white chicks (with some black bits.) Any of those chicks can also show some gold leakage as they grow up.

Dominiques have barring, so a Dominique rooster will give white barring to all his chicks. A Dominique hen will give white barring only to her sons, so a Gold Laced Polish rooster with Dominique hen will give sexlinked chicks: sons black with white barring, daughters black with no white barring.

The white barring from a Dominique parent will not be visible if the chick is otherwise white (Buff Laced parent), but the gene is still there and can appear in the offspring in later generations.

Ameraucana/EE I can't easily predict, because they come in so many colors.
Thank you so much for your time in answering my question! Genetics can be a fun and confusing challenge!

I’m hoping to keep my polish, silkies, and Dominiques as pure as possible. So, I’ll have to probably build a few more coops and runs! Or maybe all our chicks are roosters. If that’s the case, I guess I’ll just have one big Bachelor pad! 🤣

Well, I got a little bored so I am hatching some chicks from our flock. The “Polkies” will be from our Buff polish hen and Silkie/satin frizzle blue rooster. Also experimenting with our naked Neck/Easter Egger Hen and Silkie/Satin/Frizzle Roo… I feel I’m creating a crockpot of chickens. Will be interesting to see how these critters turn out! 😜

@NatJ Quick question. You’re so knowledgeable when it comes to genetics so I figure you’d be a person to ask. ☺️ Would any of the chicks be sexlinked somehow (our Roo was the Frizzled Blue Silkie Satin and Female is the buff polish)? And the other hen is a reddish americuana/naked neck cross attached are some pics.
4BC5B447-5378-44F3-B4A9-7748251281F3.jpeg

Attachments

• CA41F776-5692-41A5-8A9F-1E988D2EAA47.jpeg
    CA41F776-5692-41A5-8A9F-1E988D2EAA47.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 10
  • B74F1A46-2410-405F-BE7C-8F4930A04373.jpeg
    B74F1A46-2410-405F-BE7C-8F4930A04373.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 7
@NatJ Quick question. You’re so knowledgeable when it comes to genetics so I figure you’d be a person to ask. ☺️ Would any of the chicks be sexlinked somehow (our Roo was the Frizzled Blue Silkie Satin and Female is the buff polish)? And the other hen is a reddish americuana/naked neck cross attached are some pics.
No, I would not expect any sexlinks.

One kind of sexlinks requires a mother with white barring, and a father without white barring. Your hens are wrong for that.

One kind of sexlinks requires a gold (red, gold, buff, brown) father, and a silver mother. Your hens are wrong for that too, and your rooster may be as well. Large amounts of blue or black also make gold/silver sexlinks not work right, because you cannot see the difference.

Sexlinks with feathering speed require the father to have fast feathering, and the mother to have slow feathering. It's unlikely that your birds have the right traits for that, although I suppose there is some chance. (If it works: sons feather slowly like their mothers, daughters feather fast like their father.)

Sexlinks with leg color require a father with dark legs (slate or willow) and a mother with light legs (white or yellow). Since Polish usually have dark legs, and in the photo it appears that your naked neck hen has dark legs, that would mean your hens are wrong for this kind of sexlinking.

Chocolate can also be used for sexlinks (chocolate father, not-chocolate mother), but your rooster is not right for that either.

So four kinds will definitely not work, and feathering speed is a maybe (but probably not).

No, I would not expect any sexlinks.

One kind of sexlinks requires a mother with white barring, and a father without white barring. Your hens are wrong for that.

One kind of sexlinks requires a gold (red, gold, buff, brown) father, and a silver mother. Your hens are wrong for that too, and your rooster may be as well. Large amounts of blue or black also make gold/silver sexlinks not work right, because you cannot see the difference.

Sexlinks with feathering speed require the father to have fast feathering, and the mother to have slow feathering. It's unlikely that your birds have the right traits for that, although I suppose there is some chance. (If it works: sons feather slowly like their mothers, daughters feather fast like their father.)

Sexlinks with leg color require a father with dark legs (slate or willow) and a mother with light legs (white or yellow). Since Polish usually have dark legs, and in the photo it appears that your naked neck hen has dark legs, that would mean your hens are wrong for this kind of sexlinking.

Chocolate can also be used for sexlinks (chocolate father, not-chocolate mother), but your rooster is not right for that either.

So four kinds will definitely not work, and feathering speed is a maybe (but probably not).
Thank you for your explanation. Our purebred Dominiques were so easy to tell which were female and male. ☺️ I guess I’m in for a surprise then 😜. Thanks again!

Hi Ya’ll,

Thank you for any suggestions or ideas. 🤠

Just wanted to give you all an update of our polkie chicks (from our buff laced polish hens and Blue Silkie/Satin/Frizzle Roo )

And the grey chick is from our naked neck americuana/EE/truken mix hen and Blue S/S/F Roo

Chicken genes are sooo cool! Can’t wait for these guys to grow out! 😁👏 All have 5 toes as well. :) The grey chick looks like a showgirl!

If I was to breed any of these chicks back to our frizzle Roo would we run into any problems; such as chicks coming out as a frazzled? Since, both parents at that point will have the frizzle gene in them? Thanks!

Attachments

• DCE87793-DDF3-42C1-BDE0-A380F111624B.jpeg
    DCE87793-DDF3-42C1-BDE0-A380F111624B.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 6802448C-D28D-4062-831C-C43A65FC5357.jpeg
    6802448C-D28D-4062-831C-C43A65FC5357.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 4B8790A2-E530-4BB3-B94C-2767B8DA5FDE.jpeg
    4B8790A2-E530-4BB3-B94C-2767B8DA5FDE.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
If I was to breed any of these chicks back to our frizzle Roo would we run into any problems; such as chicks coming out as a frazzled? Since, both parents at that point will have the frizzle gene in them?
The rooster is frizzled, so to avoid frazzled chicks, you only want to breed him with not-frizzled females. So you will need to check the feather type of each pullet as they grow up.

If a pullet does not have frizzled feathers, then she should not be able to produce frazzle chicks, no matter what feather type her parents had.

Back
Top Bottom