Question regarding some of my local breeders

TheOrganicSister

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I've been calling a couple local breeders and asking them about their chickens and how they've been raised.

From both places I've heard something similar that I'm not really liking. I'd like to get the opinions of others.

For a bit of background, we are organic and want organic, hormone- and antibotic-free birds.

One breeder said he uses a feed that includes an antibiotic in it. He said it is necessary with young chickens, although he implied he didn't use it with chooks older than a year. Everything else he said fit our preferences for healthy, organic free-range birds, except that. What do you think about his opinion and if we stopped using antibotic feed would it really be that harmful for the chicken or how soon could I feel safe to eat their eggs after switching feed knowing the antibiotics are out of their system?

The second guy said he only gives them antiobiotics in the spring. That it is absolutely necessary to raising healthy birds in the city but he does not give them antiobiotics in the feed. Just once every spring. He said if we didn't do the same we'd have sick birds. But then he said he uses some type of feed from Walmart - he mentioned Purina. Please tell me Purina makes a chicken feed and he's not talking dog food.

The first guy sounded like he was much more professional and knew what he was talking about - we talked about his breeds and he questioned me on housing and dog safety. But that med-laden food makes me really uncomfortable. The second guy didn't answer as clearly or confidently and didn't question me on how I would take care of his chickens but knowing they only had an antiobiotic a few months ago makes me feel more comfortable. I'm not sure which to get our chickens from.

What would you do?

Thanks, Tara

I would probably buy from the seller with the most knowledge. If I didn't want them to have medicated feed I would buy eggs and hatch them so I would know exactly what they have been eating.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom