Question regarding visibility of dark pin feathers on heritage turkeys

kimwg

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 5, 2018
Hi all -- we are testing the waters raising heritage turkeys this year, a mixed flock of Bourbon Reds and Spanish Black. I have done Bourbon Reds for just our table before and not had any issue with visible pin feathers, but of course the Spanish Blacks have, well, black feathers and I'm therefore expecting many more visible dots under the skin.

Two questions --
1. Does anyone happen to have a photo of what this will look like on the plucked bird? I'm just curious.
2. Will black dots from feathers be less noticeable once the bird is roasted and the skin is golden brown?

Thanks
Kim

Hi all -- we are testing the waters raising heritage turkeys this year, a mixed flock of Bourbon Reds and Spanish Black. I have done Bourbon Reds for just our table before and not had any issue with visible pin feathers, but of course the Spanish Blacks have, well, black feathers and I'm therefore expecting many more visible dots under the skin.

Two questions --
1. Does anyone happen to have a photo of what this will look like on the plucked bird? I'm just curious.
2. Will black dots from feathers be less noticeable once the bird is roasted and the skin is golden brown?

Thanks
Kim
There will be noticeable black ink from the feathers visible. The fewer pin feathers there are, the less noticeable it will be. Once cooked it will not be as noticeable and will not change the flavor.

I prefer white feathered birds as they present the cleanest, best looking carcasses.

I prefer white feathered birds as they present the cleanest, best looking carcasses.

True dat! But with the COVID crunch on poult supplies, I was happy to get any heritage birds at all! I really like the Bourbon Red since the underfeathers have very light shafts that don't leave much behind, but then the outer feathers have the lovely chestnut coloring. Best of both worlds.

Two questions --

Thanks
Kim

Attachments

• 4FA4795D-0A58-4421-B248-D2AA65C79935.jpeg
    4FA4795D-0A58-4421-B248-D2AA65C79935.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 18
  • E94D4795-3E6B-4B59-9E98-C39FBF82DA4B.jpeg
    E94D4795-3E6B-4B59-9E98-C39FBF82DA4B.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 3AC1DFDE-D2DD-482C-B166-1884E2E2DD3B.jpeg
    3AC1DFDE-D2DD-482C-B166-1884E2E2DD3B.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 18

Two questions --
1. Does anyone happen to have a photo of what this will look like on the plucked bird? I'm just curious. Yes, see photos I posted.
2. Will black dots from feathers be less noticeable once the bird is roasted and the skin is golden brown? No as you can see from the photos I posted. I only breed Blacks.

Thanks
Kim

Attachments

• 3B468301-0636-41C7-B28D-F8D7404FFF54.jpeg
    3B468301-0636-41C7-B28D-F8D7404FFF54.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom