Question(s) about Duck Eggs

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
I'm curious about hatching Duck eggs.
Duck eggs have been on my "hatching bucket list' since I started hatching eggs from the local farm. The local farm only has chicken eggs, so I would get duck eggs either somewhere else or online.

I only have a egg turner that is for Chicken eggs.
Is there a way to turn Duck eggs in there too? I would think you could lay them down side ways on the tray.
Another thing, do they really get "attached" to whoever hatches them? I wouldn't be able to keep them due to the fact
our town doesn't allow to keep live stock...unless that is what my parents told me. lol. Would I be able to re home them a week or so after they hatched or do they come "attached" to one person?

I'm curious about hatching Duck eggs.
Duck eggs have been on my "hatching bucket list' since I started hatching eggs from the local farm. The local farm only has chicken eggs, so I would get duck eggs either somewhere else or online.

I only have a egg turner that is for Chicken eggs.
Is there a way to turn Duck eggs in there too? I would think you could lay them down side ways on the tray.
Another thing, do they really get "attached" to whoever hatches them? I wouldn't be able to keep them due to the fact
our town doesn't allow to keep live stock...unless that is what my parents told me. lol. Would I be able to re home them a week or so after they hatched or do they come "attached" to one person?

I've never hatched duck eggs....yet, but if the eggs are too big for the chicken turner you could always take that out and turn them by hand, at least 3x a day. I've heard they get attached or imprint on a person like they would do to their mother but I haven't experienced it. I'm sure they would be fine when you rehome them as I've seen plenty of ducklings for sale in the spring. Not sure how long the imprinting lasts. Hopefully a ducky person will stop by soon.

I have a male duck raised under a broody chicken. He acts more like a chicken. We tried to integrate him into a duck flock but that person had chickens so he went with those instead. Those chickens didn't take to him.Then he escaped the fence and was back home in a couple of hours. We had only taken down the road a bit. Then a friend had a single female survivor of a predator that we brought in. She took right to him. Took him some days to warm up to her but they're a happy duck couple now. They have to go soon though cause he'd still just as well breed a chicken as a duck. They do imprint but not so well to humans that they wouldn't take a mate in my opinion.

Thanks for your help.
I'm just curious if I hatch ducks that they won't be looking for me when i try to rehome them. I don't have any other birds right now, just a dog and two hamsters.

As long as they have a flock ( more than 1 duck), I would think they'll be fine to rehome

Hi I've hatched around 40 Pekin ducks and some do imprint where as others don't and are happy hanging with their hatch mates. In saying that I've had groups imprint on me and they will peep and carry on when you leave them in the brooder but still eat, drink etc. I've sold all except two who now live with me and some found some great homes who still keep in contact. Others I've regretted selling and I do refuse to sell to people who I think aren't capable of looking after them or are buying a living toy for their children.

Back
Top Bottom