Question-Why is laying mash bad for roosters?

Flax seed- feed in moderation- too much will make the eggs taste funny. They aren't their favorites, anyway in my chicken yard.

Birdseed- yes you can feed it. It is millet and black oil sunflower seeds. Millet is 11% protein, BOSS is 16%. Flax seeds are around 20% but don't quote me...I don't remember the exact amt.

Ah, thanks..I never thought about it changing the way the eggs taste, and really figured the chickens would like it...hmmm.. But it's ok if it isn't a good route to take as it is one less thing to worry about buying...lol

I use Nutrena "All Flock" and supplement with free choice crushed oyster shell.  I've got hens, roosters, young birds, ducks and geese.  All flock is great for 'em all. (Nutrena Chick Starter/Grower, medicated for any chicks I buy or eggs I incubate and hatch.)

I'm wondering if I feed the nutrena all flock if I will get weak shells even with offering oyster shell separately. I've got 2 Roos and 12 hens. I don't want my boys or girls to have any health problems. Thanks

High amounts of Calcium (Ca) in any non-laying poultry's diet can cause health problems like ureter, kidney impaction resulting in nephrosis and in some cases Avian Urolithiasis (Gout).
Layer feed is best fed to laying fowl, that is fowl that is laying eggs at the time you are feeding a layer type feed. Chicks, Roosters and even Hen that are not laying can inherit calcium toxicity from eating a high calcium diet.

Chris
Chris, do you have any references?

I just did a whole lot of google searching, and all I could find were positive studies - roosters having higher fertility and lower blood pressure on extra calcium.

my 5 year old roo just died this morning , he looked great had no parasites or any out ward signs of any problems , all the rest of the flock had been molting and they all looked that way , but not him he had the most fantastic deep feathering so he never looked like he was ever molting , he had no signs of any thing wrong at all, he had been with his hens all day and ate a good dinner last night of chick starter, grower, with a bit of extra corn & sun flower seeds & some wild bird seed , i had switched all my roos over from layer feed to my chick starter, grower mix, but gosh i guess i switched them to late to save him , he ate layer feed every day for all of his 5 years of life , i believe thats what killed him , i wish i could turn back time , to save him as he was one of a kind, & quite a spectacular roo, to bad we lost one of the great ones today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom