Question

musikfan

Songster
Nov 23, 2021
OK, folks. I hope you don't think I'm crazy but I couldn't figure out where else on the forum to ask this question. Please don't think I'm a crazy hypochondriac. I'm usually not, but I have a question:

Can a person get any kinds of parasites from a chicken?? This afternoon I picked up Prissy, my Barred Rock, to look at her feet again just to be sure there was no bumblefoot. She's fine and I put her back down. I was rubbing the dirt and stuff off the bottoms of her feet. I went into the house and I went about my business without any thought. Later on I was flossing my teeth and it suddenly dawned on me that I did not remember ever washing my hands after handling her dirty feet to inspect them. By the time I realized it, it was too late and I had already had my fingers in my mouth for probably a half minute. I'm now sitting here paranoid that I might contract some kind of parasites or something. The chicken run is all dirt and there's definitely chicken poop mixed in with that dirt amongst whatever else might be there. Her feet have been all over that run. It's half grossing me out. Should I be concerned??

OK, folks. I hope you don't think I'm crazy but I couldn't figure out where else on the forum to ask this question. Please don't think I'm a crazy hypochondriac. I'm usually not, but I have a question:

Can a person get any kinds of parasites from a chicken?? This afternoon I picked up Prissy, my Barred Rock, to look at her feet again just to be sure there was no bumblefoot. She's fine and I put her back down. I was rubbing the dirt and stuff off the bottoms of her feet. I went into the house and I went about my business without any thought. Later on I was flossing my teeth and it suddenly dawned on me that I did not remember ever washing my hands after handling her dirty feet to inspect them. By the time I realized it, it was too late and I had already had my fingers in my mouth for probably a half minute. I'm now sitting here paranoid that I might contract some kind of parasites or something. The chicken run is all dirt and there's definitely chicken poop mixed in with that dirt amongst whatever else might be there. Her feet have been all over that run. It's half grossing me out. Should I be concerned??
I know you can get the mites. They don't take over like on birds, but they do like to crawl and bite for a few hours

I wouldn't make a habit of it but if it were a big concern my kid would have been very sick a few times from not properly washing hands after playing with the chickens and their bedding (cause kids seem to think pine shavings are toys even if they're dirty). We do our best but kids are gross and I think its made for a stronger immune system lol

Addendum: My bigger concern is internal parasites like worms. I just don't like the thought of contracting some odd internal parasite that will show up in a month or so.....

Back
Top Bottom