Question

What size is your coop in feet or meters?

Commercial coops ALWAYS claim to hold far more birds than they actually should hold because those claims are based on the legal minimums for commercially-raised chickens.

IIRC, Seramas are the smallest bantams but what are your goals for having chickens?

Very tiny bantams may require special care, especially if you live in a severe climate, and may not meet your goals for eggs, etc.

What size is your coop in feet or meters?

Commercial coops ALWAYS claim to hold far more birds than they actually should hold because those claims are based on the legal minimums for commercially-raised chickens.

IIRC, Seramas are the smallest bantams but what are your goals for having chickens?

Very tiny bantams may require special care, especially if you live in a severe climate, and may not meet your goals for eggs, etc.
It is 6 foot by 4 foot. For the space we have we had to make it that size.

It is 6 foot by 4 foot. For the space we have we had to make it that size.

That's room enough for 6 chickens. Or up to 12 bantams -- if you accept the idea that a bantam needs half the space of a full-size chicken.

We are wanting them for eggs only

Then tiny bantams may not be your best choice because their eggs are also tiny.

Do you plan to cycle your flock as they age or give them forever homes regardless of production?

If the former, you might consider some of the smaller, light-bodied egg breeds/hybrids and, especially, look for a note "does well in confinement" in their breed description.

If the latter, you might prefer more traditional dual-purpose breeds, who spread their laying over a longer lifespan.

That's room enough for 6 chickens. Or up to 12 bantams -- if you accept the idea that a bantam needs half the space of a full-size chicken.

Then tiny bantams may not be your best choice because their eggs are also tiny.

Do you plan to cycle your flock as they age or give them forever homes regardless of production?

If the former, you might consider some of the smaller, light-bodied egg breeds/hybrids and, especially, look for a note "does well in confinement" in their breed description.

If the latter, you might prefer more traditional dual-purpose breeds, who spread their laying over a longer lifespan.
I have 2 oegb that aren't much bigger than a Dove. They are 10 weeks as of yesterday. We need to have smaller birds for the size of our coop. But also ones that will lay enough eggs. My husband and I eat alot of eggs and we want to give them to family.

I have 2 oegb that aren't much bigger than a Dove. They are 10 weeks as of yesterday. We need to have smaller birds for the size of our coop. But also ones that will lay enough eggs. My husband and I eat alot of eggs and we want to give them to family.

Better ask about bantams that are good layers in the breed section of the forums then. :)

I know more about the larger breeds.

Back
Top Bottom