Question

Disease can be dormant in a bird for months and not show. Present the bird to something stressful (like a new environment and new birds) , give it a few weeks to incubate and bam, the disease raises its ugly head
So it could go away?

So it could go away?
Unfortunately no, not if it's mycoplasma or coryza. You may be able to fix the symptoms but it will always be present in your flock, you'll have to be careful to have a closed flock, no new birds, no birds leave, have special coop shoes for the coop, if you have friends with chickens, they don't go near yours and you don't go near theirs. It could be just an infection from injury but it honestly doesn't look like it to me.

I have a rooster, I’ve had him for about week. Love him so much. We got new hens last night but today my husband noticed that he hasn’t crowed and his is swollen a little, when I clean it I see bubbles and yellow goo coming out. Need help please

He’s a slicky, we got him at an auction

He wasn’t like that yesterday, that’s what confusing
Looks like respiratory infection to me.
Bubbles in the eye with facial swelling could be Mycoplasma, but without testing, there's really now way to know.

If you are keeping him, flush the eye with saline, press all the pus out of the eye and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Tylosin or Tiamulin may be necessary if he gets worse.
Respiratory infection may spread to the other hens.

Yes...he may not have been like that yesterday. Stress can bring on symptoms. Also some folks know that birds are sick and/or symptoms may show up when stressed (getting crated up and going to an auction or show will do that), so they preemptively treat birds with antibiotics to repress (hide?) symptoms. Not an ethical thing to do at all, but hey...that's what people do.

Culling is an option, but most people don't want to do that. But if you do, then I recommend that you start with chicks from a reputable hatchery, then breed your own, there's much less likely a chance of introducing disease within a flock when you keep a closed system.

Unfortunately no, not if it's mycoplasma or coryza. You may be able to fix the symptoms but it will always be present in your flock, you'll have to be careful to have a closed flock, no new birds, no birds leave, have special coop shoes for the coop, if you have friends with chickens, they don't go near yours and you don't go near theirs. It could be just an infection from injury but it honestly doesn't look like it to me.
That’s what I’m thinking from a hen. From this morning it looks SO MUCH BETTER!!!! His eye was open, but I still have him the antibiotic to be in the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom