question

duck walk

Songster
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
white springs, fl
I have a small flock of Pekins and Rouens...they have a very nice grass area to roam with nesting spots and a building if I need to close them up for some reason...mostly free range...I seem to have collected a following of wild ducks who come to eat, bathe in the pools and do what ducks do...it started with a pair and has escalated to 12 or 6 pair...I am concerned with bio hazards and if this is potentially dangerous for my ducks...I also have 6 geese in that area...any and all input would be appreciated...oh, the jokers are Black Bellied Whistling Ducks...they are beautiful but I worry about my flock and something being brought in...they sometimes land in the chicken yard as well...any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated...

the possibility is indeed there but unlikely in a healthy flock of domestics. we have 50 domestic resident ducks, one imprint goose and about 9 wild mallards (that like the food here it seems). so far since 2005 no problems. sometimes we can worry too much. ducks are pretty hardy and relatively disease free. enjoy the flock and greet your visitors warmly.

I do I do...I just love them...they are so pretty and the whistling is neat...I can hear them coming a long way off...I do tend to worry...my birds keep me cranking and smiling...I would hate to have them sicken...OMG! If these pairs hatch and begin to bring their kids, I will be over run! Rather them than human relatives...shame on me...
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom