Question??????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kennyog, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I'am going to get some ducks.Had them in the past,and just let them roam and do their own deal.My question is...... Is there any way to train them to come in at night to be locked up for safety from predators? i have a large pond in front of my house that they will be in.I would just like to put them up at night.What would you suggest? Thank you in advance for your replies.Take care!!

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally, I'd raise them in the barn and keep them there, somehow enclosed, for a few weeks so they know that is their home. After a while, you could let them out, but make sure they return to the barn each night. They should catch on...

3. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Yep!! I agree with the above post!!!

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I agree but wanted to add everynight when you want them to come in have a yummy hand full of treats. I woud try to get them to come in before dark also so you don't have them sleeping right next to the pond ignoring you. [​IMG] If you have a treat everytime you call them then they will learn yelling means a treat. Then if they don't stay in the barn you can at least herd them back into there since they will be close.

5. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    It is amazing what 'creatures of habit' they get to be. Any of mine that have been penned up for awhile want to return to that place at night. (Tho' of course I've never had a real 'pond' to entice them away, which I could imagine could be more difficult.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by