1. jmc_123

jmc_123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    My coops are on the ground and when I get alot of rain, it gets pretty muddy in there. What would / do you use to help?

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    i have the same problem. you could spread straw but i try not too because its just a bad mess inthe long run. best thing you can do is make sure the coop is clean and wait till better weather! [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Dig trenches, lay run off pipes like for septic drain fields, cover in several inches of gravel. That is my first thought.

4. mario2girls

mario2girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    we got flooded and i put free pallets in there until it dried out, kept chickens out of water,,,quick fix

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What Miss Prissy said about diverting water from the area.

Make sure your coop roof dumps AWAY from the run - tack on gutters if necessary, you can use black corrugated drainage pipe (non perforated) as a long downspout to lead water away.

Then, you can dump in a whole buncha wood chips (NOT shavings -- you need coarse stuff, like what comes out of a chipper) to get the chickens up out of the mud. However you'd better shovel that out of there when the wet season is over, or it will break down and whoa nelly you should see the sucking mud you will get NEXT year [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

6. I would try this...
    build the floor of the coop up with dirt about 6 inches above the rest of the yard.
    As mentioned, install the 4 inch corregated drain tile around the base, fill with stone, and run the line away from the area. Good Luck!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by