question??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbrown86, Mar 12, 2011.

1. cbrown86

cbrown86 Songster

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    My littlest chick, who is around a week old, was fine just 30 mins ago. Well, my sister walked by the chick tub and asked why all the other chicks were laying on her. I went to check and something is wrong with her right leg. She has it hugged close to her and won't stand on it. I moved it around and she doesn't act like it hurts or anything. And she also won't keep her eyes open. Any suggestions? Please don't immediately tell me to cull her. I want to save her, if something is wrong...

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Songster

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Some people use a band aid brace for chicks with leg problems..mostly spraddle leg.
    It may work for yours though too to give the leg strength until it gets better. Separate the chick so she doesn't get trampled more and keep her separated but where she can see/hear the others.
    Here is the link for the band aid brace:
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

You can also give her some poly vi sol baby vitamins WITHOUT iron and make sure she's eating/drinking. She may have gotten down and weak with them having been on top of her and needs some extra TLC for awhile.

Use the SEARCH option too on the top of the BYC forum pages to look up any other symptoms and there are literally tons of answers and info on almost anything you could ask [​IMG].

Hope this helps!

3. cbrown86

cbrown86 Songster

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Thank you! I will try that brace thing. I've had her on my lap ever since I noticed her leg. She just keeps quietly chirping every few minutes, but nothing indicating she is hurt or sick or anything, other than the leg.

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Songster

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    You're very welcome!
    Hopefully you caught her soon enough that she'll be okay [​IMG]).
    Keep us posted!

5. cbrown86

cbrown86 Songster

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I hope so too! Again, I appreciate it. And I will. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: