Question!?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Recently, there been a unusual amount of sparrow hawks, in my area you usually see 2 in 1 month, but now it's a everyday thing, my bantam rooster been sounding the alarm every time and my hens go and take cover' he's pretty good at spotting them before they get to close, I was wondering if a sparrow hawk can take down my rooster and kill him? The hawk isn't to big it's the size of a small crow, my rooster is a bit bigger and bulkier, so I was wondering what are the chances of the hawk killing my rooster and hens!? Thanks

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! You might want to post on the Predators and Pests board for more help with the danger from hawks you have in your area. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests It would depend on what they call a Sparrow Hawk in your area, if it is the size of a crow it could be something like a Coopers Hawk and Sharp Shinned Hawk and ones that size can and will kill chickens, they can't fly off with the big ones but will eat them on the ground. Kestrels, what we usually call sparrow hawks are tiny , maybe 6-7 inches long, guess they could make off with a chick, but they have never bothered the adult chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
I would never expect a rooster of any size to battle a hawk or falcon, etc. and win. If the predator flies down from a tree branch maybe he wouldn't snag lunch - too much confusion and running bodies. Many roos would turn tail and run. If the same predator dives from the sky, the force of impact alone would stun or kill a chicken. I'd put my faith in fort knox coops and covered runs long before expecting unarmed poultry to put up a strong defense.

Back
Top Bottom