1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question!?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by albird101, Oct 27, 2013.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Recently, there been a unusual amount of sparrow hawks, in my area you usually see 2 in 1 month, but now it's a everyday thing, my bantam rooster been sounding the alarm every time and my hens go and take cover' he's pretty good at spotting them before they get to close, I was wondering if a sparrow hawk can take down my rooster and kill him? The hawk isn't to big it's the size of a small crow, my rooster is a bit bigger and bulkier, so I was wondering what are the chances of the hawk killing my rooster and hens!? Thanks

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! You might want to post on the Predators and Pests board for more help with the danger from hawks you have in your area. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests It would depend on what they call a Sparrow Hawk in your area, if it is the size of a crow it could be something like a Coopers Hawk and Sharp Shinned Hawk and ones that size can and will kill chickens, they can't fly off with the big ones but will eat them on the ground. Kestrels, what we usually call sparrow hawks are tiny , maybe 6-7 inches long, guess they could make off with a chick, but they have never bothered the adult chickens.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I would never expect a rooster of any size to battle a hawk or falcon, etc. and win. If the predator flies down from a tree branch maybe he wouldn't snag lunch - too much confusion and running bodies. Many roos would turn tail and run. If the same predator dives from the sky, the force of impact alone would stun or kill a chicken. I'd put my faith in fort knox coops and covered runs long before expecting unarmed poultry to put up a strong defense.

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    x2 to all the other posts.A hawk can easily kill a rooster even if its bigger and [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have heavy knotted netting over my bantam pen now - highly recommend it.

Think snow load when installing.

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

oh yea he'd kill him in an instant.
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by