question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by albird101, Mar 27, 2015.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Is it okay to hatch chicks if there mother has been on medicated Chick feed?

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Can I ask why she is on medicated chick feed? If she is laying she should be eating layer.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2?

4. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    she barley started laying a 2 weeks ago, so I'feeding her and her sisters till the bag is gone

5. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

If they are already laying they really need the balanced nutrition that layer feed provides. In any case make sure they are getting adequate protein and have access to calcium such as oyster shell if they want it. This is essential since they are using a lot more calcium than chick feed would provide.

6. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    If she is just starting to lay, I would not try to hatch. Let her get to be a good established layer.

7. fanniefarmer

fanniefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2015
    Salisbury, NC
    Good morning. I have a question for general consideration. I'm wanting to know what you think. Is hatching egg and chick selling a year round thing or does it usually dry up after spring? I'm hoping my chickens will pay their own way as far as feed and then also supplement at least the light bill year round. Is that expecting too much?

8. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Unless you have several hundred chickens (better with thousands) you will not be seeing large sums of revenue from your birds. I would not count of anything more than a possible bit of the feed bill being offset. Chickens can and will go broody year round and you may be able to hatch outside of the typical breeding season. But the breeding season for all birds is naturally the Spring and then it is over until the next season. You could build a special environment to trick them into thinking it is spring year round but again, unless you are dealing with thousands of birds the cost would be prohibitive.

9. fanniefarmer

fanniefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2015
    Salisbury, NC
    Thanks jtn42248. Actually egg supply isn't an issue for me. I just wanted to hear whether folks were finding DEMAND for hatching eggs and chicks throughout the year. It would seem so from the looks of things. I'm hoping anyway. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by