Questionable First Egg?

dandelionheart

Songster
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Lafayette, Indiana
Okay, a little while ago our first EE, Martha Stewart, laid her first egg. It was aqua, speckled (all following eggs were not) and small, seemingly a trend of the first one or two eggs laid. Her sister, Georgia O'Keefe, has been squatting, etc... lately. We got a weird medium brown with darker brown speckles on it Friday. I figured it was one of the other girls (OR, RIR) having a weird egg. It was regular size, not small... We haven't spotted Georgia snuggling in like the other layers, no perfect little nest like her sister. Today we had a pretty dark brown egg (not Maran dark, but obviously darker than the other girls, uniform, no speckles, regular sized). Hubby thinks that it is Georgia's. I think it may be one of the girls that haven't laid in a while. They (the 3 Orps and 1 RIR) have only been giving us 0-1 eggs a day lately and we've only had them since early September... Can a newly laying girl suddenly pop out a fully Large egg? I am optimistic that it isn't her (and that she will give me a prettier color) and that it is maybe one of the other girls that is laying the darker color (like the RIR). Whatcha think? I hope that makes sense.
tongue.png

We have a hen that after laying just a few tiny eggs, started giving us extra large double yolkers once a week in the first month or so.
Two of my latest new layers went from tiny eggs the first week, to large the next week.

Every hen is different, and uniformity is not reality
wink.png

But have they always started out with dinky eggs? We haven't seen a small brown one at all... I'm hoping we will just get a pretty green in with our aqua one and just have the mystery solved.
wink.png

I've never had one start out with full sized eggs, but the first eggs varied a lot in size, some definitely much bigger than others, so it wouldn't surprise me that much. They do all sorts of odd stuff when they begin to lay.

Hubby said that Georgia was just now sitting in her box... which makes me very hopeful that it isn't hers at all. He is thinking that it is our RIR now... Which would be really nice. We have *almost* had to run to the store
sickbyc.gif
for eggs in the last couple of weeks. And none to share.
sad.png
It would be awesome to go from 0-1 to 3-4 (or more, we have 6 hens).

Back
Top Bottom