Questioning if my 19 day old eggs are still alive

CJduckfriend

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I am currently incubating two duck eggs. Both of them looked very promising around day 12. There were veins and movement seen. Here are my concerns:

Egg 1: it's air sac is not directly at the top of the egg, it is slightly to the side, but still very visible. There are veins but they are large and today (day 19) there seems to be more amniotic fluid than there should be day 19/28. I am having a hard time finding movement, but the like I said the veins are very visible and pretty large. The embryo isn't getting big like egg 2. They could be different breeds of duck though, as I ordered a variety shipment.

Egg 2: Today I found a hairline crack, with a spec of tinted fluid that dried on the crack like a small drip. This egg has movement and seems to be developing right on track. There is no fowl odor from the liquid and I sealed the crack with nail polish. I have read how rancid bad eggs can smell and this little guy smells completely normal.

I want to see out the 28 days, but I would love to get others advice. I would hate to toss eggs that could lead to healthy ducklings. I have followed the incubation process by the book. These were shipped eggs, so I know that comes with a high risk on its own. I would be so sad if "Billy" and "Blue" didn't make it, but I also understand that nature will take its course.

Hello Everyone,

I am currently incubating two duck eggs. Both of them looked very promising around day 12. There were veins and movement seen. Here are my concerns:

Egg 1: it's air sac is not directly at the top of the egg, it is slightly to the side, but still very visible. There are veins but they are large and today (day 19) there seems to be more amniotic fluid than there should be day 19/28. I am having a hard time finding movement, but the like I said the veins are very visible and pretty large. The embryo isn't getting big like egg 2. They could be different breeds of duck though, as I ordered a variety shipment.

Egg 2: Today I found a hairline crack, with a spec of tinted fluid that dried on the crack like a small drip. This egg has movement and seems to be developing right on track. There is no fowl odor from the liquid and I sealed the crack with nail polish. I have read how rancid bad eggs can smell and this little guy smells completely normal.

I want to see out the 28 days, but I would love to get others advice. I would hate to toss eggs that could lead to healthy ducklings. I have followed the incubation process by the book. These were shipped eggs, so I know that comes with a high risk on its own. I would be so sad if "Billy" and "Blue" didn't make it, but I also understand that nature will take its course.
Please get a photo of you candling the eggs and the crack. If the crack is small enough, it can be covered with some melted wax.

Back
Top Bottom