Questioning if my coop has Invisible bugs/mites?

byouland

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 8, 2013
For the past two nights when my hens go into the coop they peck at the floor. I've checked the floor and don't see anything. I cleaned out the coop and put fresh shavings and hay inside. But again they are pecking at the floor. I went into the coop with a flash light and cannot see anything. Is it possible they have mites and I'm unaware of this? Any suggestions would be appreciated it. Thanks in advance :)

My chickens love to peck at/eat the tiny particles of straw that I lay down for them in the coop, and sometimes the run. It keeps them nice and busy too! They'll peck at any spots or discoloration to see if it's a tasty treat.

Regarding mites: sprinkle some Diatomaceous Earth, that should get rid of the problem - if there is one.
big_smile.png

Mine usually want to eat right before they roost, and also spend time pecking at the shavings etc under the roosts because that is where they are just before bedtime. If you are using hay as bedding it is possible they are pecking at / eating the leaves and seeds off the hay. Like Valk said, they will peck at spots or anything to see if it is edible. Chickens generally won't peck at mites since the mites are so tiny. If you've looked with a flashlight and not seen mites, and checked the chickens, then I would guess they are just looking for a late night snack.

Back
Top Bottom