Questioning myself about my outside cat need insight please!

floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
About 2-3 years ago I bumped my dom shorthair, Milo, outside because he was always whining and running around the house like a horse, He's 7 years old now and I lost my flame-point siamese just last month to unknown causes who was found along with Milo as a kitten. Chester didn't care when Milo was given the boot outside, in fact, I think he was glad because he now had me all to himself.

But as Milo is now getting older I'm fearing for his health and safety, we live out in the country and our yard is partially fenced in except on one side towards the woods. And for the most part, he chases birds, squirrel's, lizards etc, etc, etc. He meows up at me through the floor where ever I'm at, be it the bathroom or my bedroom. Wherever I am at he will find me and do this mournful meow.

So now as I'm watching My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet it's got me thinking I kicked him out too quick and that it was my fault because he was so full of energy and was bored out of his mind because Chester was the opposite of Milo and didn't care about playing that much he just wanted to cuddle with me.I have tried to bring him inside once or twice and he's happy to see me but when I walk to the door he's wanting to go back outside, At least I think he is or he is wanting me to come outside with him?

Well with Chester gone I went and adopted two 9wk old kittens, A dom short-hair tabby female and a black male who I think is maybe a Bombay? Anytime I have ever had a black cat I check to see if they are a Bombay. And he has those copper eyes and his muzzle is small like the breeds. Or so it looks to me because I compared his face to the dom tabby's and her muzzle is larger than his. And I'm wondering after watching My Cat From Hell if I make some changes and set a routine of Play, Eat, Sleep will he calm down like I have seen the kittens do. Because before when I booted him out I didn't do that and so now I'm feeling super guilty because he was bored and was doing anything he could to play and I punished him for that :(

My mom is telling me to leave him outside he is happy but is he only happy because he has something that is entertaining him which is what I am for right? It's my job to keep him entertained and I wasn't doing that so of course, he will like it outside right? So should I leave him outside or bring him back in? I mean I have to get him on Flea treatment and his shots before he comes inside to be around the kittens because I don't want him to give them something and he just sounds so sad at times while other times I won't hear anything from him.

Please Help :(

Can you do an indoor/outdoor routine? Cats are definitely safer outdoors (things like cars, dogs, coyotes, even large owls are all a huge danger to cats!) but some cats just can't handle being inside. You could also try closing bedroom doors at night to keep him from disturbing you. Many cats play at night but it doesn't mean they are bored. He may even enjoy playing with the kittens.

Is he neutered? If not, that could also play a role in his behavior. Cats are one species that definitely change behavior significantly once neutered.

Can you do an indoor/outdoor routine? Cats are definitely safer outdoors (things like cars, dogs, coyotes, even large owls are all a huge danger to cats!) but some cats just can't handle being inside. You could also try closing bedroom doors at night to keep him from disturbing you. Many cats play at night but it doesn't mean they are bored. He may even enjoy playing with the kittens.

Is he neutered? If not, that could also play a role in his behavior. Cats are one species that definitely change behavior significantly once neutered.

Yes, he was fixed a long time ago! I firmly believe in keeping animals neutered and spayed. And I use to have a door lol but he started head butting it and ramming it to the point that he broke my door off the hinges and when I would put him outside my door he would whine and moan. And when I would let him back inside he would do it all over again and that's when I had enough and booted him outside.

About 2-3 years ago I bumped my dom shorthair, Milo, outside because he was always whining and running around the house like a horse, He's 7 years old now and I lost my flame-point siamese just last month to unknown causes who was found along with Milo as a kitten. Chester didn't care when Milo was given the boot outside, in fact, I think he was glad because he now had me all to himself.

But as Milo is now getting older I'm fearing for his health and safety, we live out in the country and our yard is partially fenced in except on one side towards the woods. And for the most part, he chases birds, squirrel's, lizards etc, etc, etc. He meows up at me through the floor where ever I'm at, be it the bathroom or my bedroom. Wherever I am at he will find me and do this mournful meow.

So now as I'm watching My Cat From Hell on Animal Planet it's got me thinking I kicked him out too quick and that it was my fault because he was so full of energy and was bored out of his mind because Chester was the opposite of Milo and didn't care about playing that much he just wanted to cuddle with me.I have tried to bring him inside once or twice and he's happy to see me but when I walk to the door he's wanting to go back outside, At least I think he is or he is wanting me to come outside with him?

Well with Chester gone I went and adopted two 9wk old kittens, A dom short-hair tabby female and a black male who I think is maybe a Bombay? Anytime I have ever had a black cat I check to see if they are a Bombay. And he has those copper eyes and his muzzle is small like the breeds. Or so it looks to me because I compared his face to the dom tabby's and her muzzle is larger than his. And I'm wondering after watching My Cat From Hell if I make some changes and set a routine of Play, Eat, Sleep will he calm down like I have seen the kittens do. Because before when I booted him out I didn't do that and so now I'm feeling super guilty because he was bored and was doing anything he could to play and I punished him for that :(

My mom is telling me to leave him outside he is happy but is he only happy because he has something that is entertaining him which is what I am for right? It's my job to keep him entertained and I wasn't doing that so of course, he will like it outside right? So should I leave him outside or bring him back in? I mean I have to get him on Flea treatment and his shots before he comes inside to be around the kittens because I don't want him to give them something and he just sounds so sad at times while other times I won't hear anything from him.

Please Help :(

I keep my cats indoors because I don't want them to die before their time. Too many dangers outside from predators to vehicles to catching diseases. There are all kinds of cat toys on the market and you can grow grasses or catnip in plastic cat safe pots for him to enjoy. If he must go out there are playpens similar to chicken tractors that will let him enjoy the outdoors yet keep him safe.

Back
Top Bottom