Questioning Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by YolktheQuail, Jul 24, 2016.

1. YolktheQuail

YolktheQuail New Egg

Jul 24, 2016
    I have a new button quail. She is young, however I'm not sure how young. She is very skiddish when I try to handle her but gladly runs around my room when she's out. I have her in a guinea pig cage inside because of the cats in our neighborhood. She does eat and drink a lot, and is very vocal. I have some baby tears (the plant) in there with her so she has some feel of the outdoors. I do take her outside once in a while, but me or my dog will have to stay with her. (My dog is totally fine with all the birds I bring home.) She seems pretty content in her cage and I put a shoe box with a hole in it so she can hide when she feels like it. I read about the basics for quail care and was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. Thank you to those who can help!

2. 2chicksagain

2chicksagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
  3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Awww that's cute :)!! I don't know much about button quail but she may be vocal looking for a mate/friend hehe.

Sounds like you take great care of her! If you feed her treats she will need grit to help digest it and have you tried to offer her a dustbath of dry dirt or sand? :D

You could also get the top part of a cage (with bars small enough that a cat couldn't fit their paw through) and let her have some open ground outside underneath of it - give her some shade protection and weigh it down so no animal can knock it over/put their paw UNDER it to get her and then she can maybe spend the nice days outside pecking grass and weeds and bugs?

4. hy503

hy503 New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Northern MA
    Quails don't ask a lot, just a quiet safe cage, clean food with >20% protein and clean water. Warm temperature before day 21, some sand for sand bath. Some vegetable after day 21. 14-16 hours of light after day 35 if you like to have eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by